Others touching your bump

My MIL will randomly touch my bump without asking/warning e.g. in the lift or at her place. It will startle me a little because I am not exactly a physical touch person (like I don't hug my parents/PIL) but she seems to think that it's okay? Is it normal for me not to feel okay? Should I get my hub to talk to her? I mean if there's baby movement that can be felt from outside, I would think I will "invite" them to feel. but I'm only in second tri now and not feel much movement also. Like maybe if want to touch, is it too much of me to have her ask for permission first? I won't say no and will still cringe a little but at least I'm prepared?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi! I had the same problem!!! Not just with MIL. It is rude to touch without asking. But since she’s MIL, I told my husband about it. Now when he see’s anyone touching my belly without permission he’ll hint them / joke with them about asking permission first.

3y ago

haii my hub doesn't think that there's anything wrong with my mil wanting to touch my belly, cos after all its her grandkid inside. but it's my body still. so upsetting

Super Mum

Tell her yourself better, like maybe the next time she touch, you pretend to get a big shock. Then u say out loud that she startled you so much, not good for bb.... hehehehe

3y ago

it happened again and I really did get a shock and jumped back, but my mil passed it off as a joke and said like wah the baby moved 😔