my MIL has started squeezing out my newborn's nipples, saying it is important to release any milk or residue. i can't see my baby crying in pain. is this really necessary or should i make it stop right away?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

In some cultures the milk from infant's breast is expressed. It is accumulated because of mother's hormones and doctors advice to leave it as it is and with time, the nipples if appear swollen become fine on their own. Discourage your MIL from doing anything to it, in fact do not rub or massage that area and within few months it will be fine. Please go through this link and make your MIL listen to what doctors advice in it. http://www.pediatricsconsultantlive.com/photoclinic/galactorrhea-newborn-witch’s-milk

Read more

I gave seen people doing this but I came to know about this only later when my daughter had passed that age when that is supposed to be done. Well! I do not think that is important as kids who do not go through this grow up to be fine. Also her PD never mentioned this to be done. If it was really important, doctors would have mentioned this. If you believe in it then let her squeeze that milk out it wouldn't harm the baby either way. Else best is ask the PD.

Read more

Hi, Well I don't know whether it is important to do this or not. But my mother used to say that do no squeeze nipples as more u squeeze more discharge will occur. Will suggest you to consult PD if required.

i have never heard of such thing.. n wat i thnk dat baby skin is so soft..it will hurt baby..not even any doctor mentioned ds to me even..jst check ds on net..n if its some custom.. dn it shud b stopped...

Yes maximum peoples did that bt it's not necessary because I didn't do anything like this with my bby.... It will be b fyn naturally. My aunt said that there is no need to do.