Hi all, my LO is 5months1week old. He has finally started to roll over and I read that it is not safe to swaddle him to sleep anymore. I usually latch him on to sleep and place him in his cot after he falls asleep, but now without the swaddle he's so sensitive to every movement and it has been difficult to put him in his cot while I slip away. Any advice on transitioning from sleeping with swaddle to sleep sack? Thanks!

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yes don't swaddle once your lo starts to flip. My lo doesn't latch to sleep but we used to put him in a zip swaddle and when he had to transition to sleeping with his hands out, it took about 1-2 weeks for him to get used to it and during that time he woke up more frequently. I would suggest to put him in the sleep sack while he latches so that once he falls asleep you can just put him in the cot. He'll eventually get used to sleeping in the sleep sack.

Read more
8y ago

No prob at all. Haha yes just hang in there, those 1-2 weeks were pretty trying coz we were tired out from the frequent wakings and trying to put him back to sleep but as with all things it'll pass. Jiayou! :)

I agreed that latching to slp will cause more problem not only to yourself but baby in the Long run. For transitional u may get ur baby a slping sack for the time being but I feel that it is not a Long term solution since bb will outgrown the slp sack very soon too

Hi there, I agree with Anne. It's right not to swaddle until your baby already knows how to roll over. Putting him in a sleep sack while my wife breastfed our baby really worked for us! Now, our baby is super used to sleeping in the sleep sack. :)

VIP Member

I would say just lay your baby down without the swaddle and just put him in the sleep sack. Latching him to sleep is a sleep prop which will create more sleep problems for you down the road. That's just my two cents. All the best and sleep well!

I stopped swaddling my bb when he turned 1 month old.