Is screen time beneficial or not nescessary ?

LO is 18mths old . From young , ive been refraining her from screen time , be it television cartoon or youtube for kids. I do not want my child to be dependent as i think this is not needed .i do not want my child to end up needing to watch video when traveling , eating their meals and etc . Right now she is doing fine without too . From time to time , will open educational song and rythmes for her to hear. She attends playgroup too . I do not want to introduce all these to her as i feel tht she is too young and i know this might cause behavaral problem . But for my husband and inlaw and others , back then when living with them , they will put her infront of the tv beside them as young as 4months old . Im not comfortable with this. Now my kids is 18mth old , i would rather want them to spent proper time with her like playing than to put her beside to watch tv or youtube to her . Like , if u want to watch ur television , u can hand over my kid back to me not distract and make her watch tv with u when she want to play . My husband is thinking im overreacting with this screen time and thibk its okay for her . Am i wrong ? Every mom wants the best for their child . #advicepls #firstbaby #1stimemom

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
TapFluencer

hi mummy, I restricted my baby from screen time since young till 18 months. I don't allow tablet all these but I have to understand my family I live with them will watch TV etc. I can say I never regret giving her after 18 months. she's not keen in TV even since young my family has been turning on with her around. she doesn't need to watch YouTube to eat or when we are out I don't need YouTube keep her entertain or is she relying on it. but she has been a big difference when I introduce to her 30 min a day split to 2 session. she can learn one whole song movement with me in 1 weeks and remember it. she can learn ABC and remembers it. actually it's not a bad thing it depend on how you control it. they are curious in learning stage now.

Read more

it happened to me as well, my mil previously let my 6mth old baby watched TV together with her and I told her not to do so many times and she replied my husband and siblings also watched since young, no problem one. Then got 1 time I saw my daughter watched together with her before I go to shower and I warn my girl don't watch but after shower she still there and I cannot take it anymore. I very angry and told my mil don't let her watch so long and carry my daughter out. I told my hb I cannot tolerate on this and he said ok even he think I slightly over react too. Then my relationship with my mil become no good since then.

Read more
VIP Member

Yes, my family thinks I overreact to the screentime too. As a mom I do want the best for my child

Super Mum

you are right, no screen time is recommended for kids below 2years old.

Hi Mum, No screen time for kids below 2 years age is a good practice