My LO is 14 mths old and our family will be travelling overseas . Is it too early for him to eat outside good? If yes, how shld I prepare his food throughout the trip. Any ideas?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I think after one year old we should try to expose them to as much varieties of food as possible so that they won't get too fussy as an eater. Of course we can't give them all types of outside foods especially the oily types. But I think it won't be hard to find places that sell porridge or some white rice and some simple dishes like chicken and vegetables. Perhaps have to ask the kitchen to use less oil and salt. I brought my gal to cruise recently and she was feeding on bread mainly and inalso brought some instant cereal along. She also love salmon and I cut tiny pieces of my food like pasta and chicken for her here and there. She survived well :)

Read more

My LO hates pre-packed good so when we bought her to Bali when she's 7 mths, we bring along a lunch cooker (search for it on qoo10. Cheap And awesome). I usually let her eat fresh, and brought along rice and easy to store vegetables (I.e. no need fridge) like sweet potatoes, potatoes, carrots etc. The rest I just see what I can find in the local market. I put the stuffs to cook every morning before we go for our swim in the villa, and by the time we're done, we have nice hot porridge. Works great for us. :)

Read more

I bought my LO to Taiwan when she is 12 months old for 8 days. We prepare pre-packed purée but she preferred none and end up we bought soup noodle and rinse with water for her as well as lot of fruits. If we eat in restaurants, we will ask for food with no seasoning for her, most of the places we go are very helpful. For some meal, I gave her hard boiled egg with steamed vegetables or fruit.

Read more

Where are u heading to . hmm . for me i did introduce my little outside food when traveling soupy stuff like noodles porridge or rice with egg chicken or vegetable etc. . as he dun really like those pre pack puree. . i still bring milk along sachets pack . as in between will make some milk for him incase he did not take much .

Read more
7y ago

I'm heading to Taiwan

I'm going for a short trip soon during cny let me share with you, I'm bringing frozen food which I will blend before I go n I go there just heat up using 小熊 cooker which I brought from q10 can use to steam eggs n boil Noodle for us adult too you can try out if you prefer your LO eat home cook=)

Post reply image
7y ago

it's $33.80,you can used this very long I have mine previous before I was pregnant but it's spoil i have used almost 2 years so worth the price,btw I brought this is bcos inner part is ceramic...

We travel a lot and I always bring dry macaroni, pasta etc along with me. When we reach, we'll then look for a supermarket to buy fresh ingredients to cook the pasta/macaroni/noodles with soup etc for our 17 month old. We haven't introduced outside food to her. We will only when she turns 3.

VIP Member

If your child is ready to eat lumpy food then I think you can feed some outside food. Just give him stuff that is not oily and not too salty or sweet. Avoid sauces. I feel that after 1, a child should be exposed to more foods (different tastes and textures).

Sometimes we shouldnt be too protective over lo. We should allow them to explore within limits whilst we are able to still control them. Ill let him eat out.

I feel he can take outside food selectively. How many days will u be Travelling? N to where? U can also prepared food pouches if u dun want to cook during the trip

7y ago

Taiwan is okay for toddlers on their food. I spent 2 week there before. I will choose food that are least oily for them. Rice is def nicer then singapore i personally felt!