Confinement Nanny - Yay or Nay?

Hi Ladies, as im approaching my 3rd trimester im having a lot of people ask me if we are getting a confinement nanny, or that we absolutely need one etc. My mum told me she got by all 3 kids without getting one, and my partner and i are sorta against strangers in our place for a month. Hes an amazing cook and will be taking the first month off when baby arrives. I guess my question is how essential is having a confinement nanny? And did any of you mummies not have one and got along just okay? Thk you!

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Hi there, If your hubby’s a great cook, I’d advise against it. You sound pretty confident mama and sometimes, I feel, confinement nannies can be the cause of more complications, rifts between couples, etc. Also, I’ve had many couples tell me that after the confinement nanny leaves, they dun really know what to do or they cannot get used to night feeds because the nanny has been doing it all. I personally feel that spending more time with baby means you get to know her better, read her better. Also, your husband and you would have just welcomed a baby which can take a toll on your relationship. Having that space and privacy helps tonnes. Of course, this is just an opinion and at the end of the day, the decision is up to the both of you. However, if you need a night out to yourselves, just ensure you have some form or support. If hubby is hands on enough with baby to give you some me time, that’s a good indicator too that you guys will be fine :)

Read more

I'm T2 now and have hired a nanny, but that's because it's my first kid, we have no confidence in taking care and would like someone to take charge in the house. My parents have no confidence too, they said it's been too long and they have forgotten how to do confinement and infantcare. My friends have advised that I definitely will need a helping hand, as the mum will basically just be a milking factory and the baby is a poop machine. Milking and cleaning up poop will take the full day with no rest. Another friend has also advised getting a CN is just putting off the chaos for 1 month for you to get used to the routine of having a kid. These friends didn't get a CN but had parents who came to help out.

Read more
VIP Member

Hi, honestly if you get a good CN, they really can help you alot, so you can get more rest. But if your concern mostly because againts strangers, better no need. I hv a few friends, they said able to handle newborn baby for early 1month without CN, but surely will need to do it tgt with your partner. They said, the most important thing to do with newborn is bath time & feeding baby, the rest baby will sleep.. anyway not sure too, i havent go through with it yet, but i believe if other mom able to do it, means we will able to go through that way too.. ☺️ and for the food during confinement, you can book for 28days, so hubby can more relax n help you more..

Read more