CTTO #Anne Andam 🌱👌

KEEPING UP WITH THE JONESES Means comparison to one's neighbor as a benchmark for social class or the accumulation of material goods. Basically means living beyond means to keep up with a wealthy neighbor. "Social climbing". Some of us here have been guilty of that. But instead of looking at a wealthy neighbor, we compare our lives to what we see online, forgetting to even realize that only the "good" is shown online and that behind a beautiful post is a struggling person. Some of us have broken our budgets to keep up with the hype of indoor plants or succulents. Some of us have broken our alkansya to buy from online seller friends so we don't appear "can't afford". Some of us have used sticker wallpaper in impractical ways so our houses could appear pinterest-friendly. Some of us buy korean dinner setups because pinauso ni singkit juan. Some of us do room makeovers so we can post it online and say "I'm not bragging, just inspiring". And so many others. We are all guilty of keeping up with the joneses in one way or another. Pati ako. If you are a "can afford", there's no issue there. And that's okay. It's human nature to compare and even compete. It's part of our mindset to appear successful, if not be actually successful than another person. And that's good attitude, when applied in the right ways. Let's not forget though that we DON'T have to do it. No one is forcing us. Do not go breaking the bank to ride a soon-to-fade bandwagon. Plant gulay instead of indoor plants or succulents. Cook your own food instead of buying cooked food offered. Do not forget to save for emergencies just to makeover a room na practically okay pa naman pero hindi ka-fb-fb tingnan. Let us live within our means. Wala namang webcam sa loob ng mga bahay natin na naka-broadcast sa buong bayan. We choose what we share. We can choose what we spend on. For when that bandwagon is gone, what we will have left is an emptied out wallet, that social media will not fill for us. (Hindi po ako naglelecture. Naisip ko lang) Peace. 😅 * * * * * Edited: As I assumed correctly na mey ma-ooffend I did not write this post to insult anyone. I did not write this post to impose DO's and DON'Ts or to "judge" someone. We all have our own battles to conquer. Kung ano man po ang gawin nyo sa pera nyo, wala po akong pakialam, pera nyo yan, pinaghirapan nyo yan. This is my point of view. I'm just saying na let us live within or even below our means. If you have to spend, find good reasons other than keeping up with the joneses. But if you want na butasin yung alkansya nyo for the wrong reasons, you do you, baby, you do you. 💕

CTTO #Anne Andam 🌱👌
2 Replies
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply

tama po mamsh, nice post! 👍🏼

Super Mum

Agree.