Grieflike state

I've gone for my 20 week scan and it's already revealed that it's a boy... I really wanted my first to be a girl, one reason being I grew up with an older brother from hell. My colleagues have been asking what's the gender and I just keep lying that baby's legs keep crossing and we can't see. I'm really in denial and I feel so silly going through this grief-like state when I still have a healthy baby with ten fingers and a beating heart. I feel like a terrible mother.

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I know this is not where you are coming from, but it might help if you approach this from a different mindset. Not all boys are the same, being a horrible sibling is not a product of gender, but of the environment and upbringing. It won't be fair to your baby if he is coming to the world with a blank slate but you have already assumed the worst of him. Also, when you decided to be a parent, you put your hand up to be responsible for a new life whatever it ends up being. Taking a pet analogy, if you decided to adopt a cat from the shelter and a loving black kitten comes up and chooses you, you can't walk away saying "nah sorry it really wants to come home with me but I want a white kitten how about that one in the corner". You child is just your child, it's a life of its own and will grow to the form it chooses, you are just its guardian, and sex is just a genital organ much like the colour of a kitten's fur.

Read more