I hate my postpartum body

Hey everyone, I hope you're all doing well. I wanted to reach out because I've been feeling down lately, and I could really use some support from fellow moms who might understand what I'm going through. I recently gave birth to my beautiful baby, and while I'm overjoyed to have this little bundle of love in my life, I can't help but feel incredibly unhappy with my postpartum body. I know it's normal for our bodies to change during and after pregnancy, but I'm really struggling to accept the changes I see in the mirror. Before pregnancy, I used to feel confident and comfortable in my own skin, but now I just feel self-conscious and ashamed of how my body looks. The stretch marks, the extra weight, the loose skin... it's all been really difficult for me to come to terms with. There was a short period of time when I even hated my baby for this. I felt like he's the one causing all these stress for me. I find myself comparing my body to other moms who seem to have "bounced back" so quickly after giving birth, and it only makes me feel worse about myself. I know I shouldn't be so hard on myself, but it's hard not to feel this way when society puts so much pressure on women to look a certain way, especially after having a baby. I want to be the best mom I can be for my baby, but it's hard to feel confident and empowered when I'm constantly battling negative thoughts about my appearance. Has anyone else experienced similar feelings after giving birth? How did you cope with them? I could really use some advice, encouragement, or just someone to talk to who understands what I'm going through.

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi mama, here’s mine. Coming from 42kg prepreg mama here (I was also only 24 when I gave birth so I was devastated with my weight and body, going from XS-L). I gained 18kg during my pregnancy, I was 60kg at birth, my baby? 2.6KG. I thought I could escape stretch marks but unfortunately, it started coming out at 38weeks at rapid speed. Saggy skins, flabby tummy right after birth was hard to accept. Before that I could just brush it off as “pregnant fat nvm”. It took me 8 months to get back to my prepregnancy weight and even lesser (I was 40kg), I still have that mum pouch when I sit down now. Surely, with the convenience of social media, we often see influencers who looks like Kim K right after birth or slimmed down in like 3 days? But then again, everything on the net is just for show. For commoners like myself, even people around me needs a few months to look “not pregnant”. I told myself, I took 9 months to balloon up, I should give it equal or more time to deflate. Also, I was insistent on breastfeeding (pumping) as Google said it can lose weight 😂, so yeah, thankfully bf worked for me and I did managed to shed off a lot of weight (I was also eating a lot). But do note that, I am a SAHM so it’s easier for me to cope with all the crazy pumping schedule. TBH, after awhile I just stick to loose clothings and focusing on daily life rather than my body. I didn’t even realized my weight and body changes till 6m PP when I took out my old dress and then took my weight. Mirror before that for me is just to check if there’s anything on my face or my hair looks fine, I don’t check out my body to avoid being more upset. For me, breastfeeding helps a lot on my weight loss journey and also not bothering about the body and weight. Just focus on eating well, sleeping well and recovering well. I stopped pumping at 18m, just eat normally to maintain my weight at 44-45kg range now.

Read more

Yup. I gained 18kg during pregnancy, and after giving birth, my weight didn't even drop coz of water retention. Those first few weeks were tough. I looked and felt so swollen and big. I stopped looking too closely at the mirror, coz I felt that bad. About 2 weeks later, the water came off, so at least I wasn't that round anymore. After that,breastfeeding helped reduced the weight. However, even if I went back to pre pregnancy weight, the waist didn't go back haha. I tell myself tt the shelf tt I have now helps to prop up my baby when I carry him , so that he doesn't slip down. My boobs have also sagged a lot and I am honestly quite sad, but I keep reminding myself that they have nourished and kept my baby alive and well, and to be thankful for them being able to produce milk.

Read more