Nuchal translucent thickness 4.7mm

hi, ive just done my 1st trisemester test and we found out that our baby has NT as thick as 4.7mm which give the chance of 1:18 for down syndrome. has anyone encounter the same and can you share more on what happened? me as a mum to be has been so devastated and cry is the only thing i know for now. my gynea asked us to perform amniocentesis test in about 4 weeks time when im about 16 weeks. any sharing will be appreciate it thank you.

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Hey there, I didn't have that low of a score - but my risk was still rather high. I personally didn't want to do further testing, but went ahead because my parents wanted to - we did a Panorama test which was non-invasive, but costs about $1,000. I think the question you'll need to ponder on would be the difference between whether your child having down syndrome or not - does it change your mind about having your child, or is it just a worry you don't need to think about? For me, I was okay because even if my son was diagnosed with down syndrome, I would've still kept him, give birth to him and provide him the best I can - and I'd still do the same even if he had a birth defect or anything like that! You need to think about what impact it'll make in your decisions, if it doesn't change anything, you don't need to brood over it :)

Read more
6y ago

Hi Jena, thank you for your sharing and thoughts.

I had the same experience in my previous pregnancy. You need to think through what you will do in the worst case scenario. But keep positive - you never know, it could turn out ok. Hope it works out for you

Hi, I came across this post and would like to know if the Nuchal translucency has decreased during ur 2nd trim?