Baby neck thickness

I had Oscar & NIPT test today, after detailed scanning my gynae told me my baby's neck thickness of 4.1 is above average of 2.5 so she advised me to forgo the NIPT test since it only test for down syndrome and to proceed with amnio test instead. Couldn't stop crying as I'm so worried for my baby and decide to follow gynae's advice. The 5 tubes of blood for NIPT have to be discarded. Anyone have done amnio test before? Can advise how it's like? Will it be painful? And how was your test result? #1stimemom #advicepls

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I did NIPT at week 12 and the results came out to be monosomy x with 99% probabability. Continue with amnio at week 16 and waited 3 weeks for the results to be out but thankfully it’s all false alarm. Doc told me of all these positive NIPT and amnio after that, it’s around 50/50 that the result could be negative so don’t give hope! My advice is no matter what the results is, you would want to see how’s the baby condition via ultrasound and make a decision from there. Amnio procedure is bearable, it’s more of pressure of the needle as they need to go quite deep to reach the fluid. Keeping you and baby in prayers!

Read more
2y ago

thank you for the kind advice.

Hi, I did amniocentesis at week 16 as I went for NIPT twice but both times low fetal dna so they couldn't run the test. Amniocentesis procedure was seamless and not really painful (no local anaesthesia used but it will just feel like a normal blood taking kind of sensation). Doctor and you could see where baby is when the needle goes in so they will avoid baby. My test results were thankfully OK and I'm now in week 29. All the best to u and I hope all goes fine!!!

Read more
2y ago

thank you for the advice. hope my baby is as lucky as yours.

Amniocentesis is a diagnosis which means the result is 100%. Unlike nipt or oscar, max is 99%. The procedure is not painful and it will be accompanied with ultrasound. I was told to do this because my oscar test was 1:10 which is extremely high risk. And yes my baby was diagnosed with Down syndrome after the amniocentesis test.

Read more
2y ago

thank you for the advice and I'm so sorry to hear that.

Don't worry amniocentesis is not painful, I did mine because my Oscar test was 1:2 which was the highest risk that they had in their chart. Baby turn out to be fine. Totally understand the stress and sadness that you are going through.

2y ago

yes same for me.. I waited 1 month

Actually NIPT does not ONLY test for down syndrome, it tests for other chromosomal abnormalities too. Anyway, good to do amniocentesis for a peace of mind. All the best and hope both you and baby are healthy.

2y ago

thank you

Not painful, like an injection. Lasted 2 mins. try to relax after that. Hope all is well for u

2y ago

thank you