Is there any food that a breastfeeding mom should avoid to keep her baby free from any allergies?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

From what I’ve read, there is still a lack of evidence supporting the link between a breastfeeding mother’s diet and minimizing a baby’s food allergy’s risk. Most importantly, the mother should keep to a balanced and healthy diet to ensure that the baby is getting adequate and sufficient nutrients. Still, some of my friends would pay attention to their intake of some common foods that infants tend to have allergic reactions to: cow’s milk, eggs, wheat, soy, shellfish and peanuts. They would keep a lookout for allergic reactions in their babies if they have consumed any of these food. And here is a list of food that are commonly associated with gas or causing stomach upset in babies when consumed by the breastfeeding mother: citrus fruits, broccoli, peppers, cabbage and brussels sprouts. Personally, I would still suggest a well balanced diet. The main type of food to avoid for a breastfeeding mother would be fishes that have higher levels of mercury, such as shark, swordfish, king mackerel, solid white or albacore tuna and tilefish.

Read more

Generally, these are the food to avoid during breastfeeding as it might cause reaction to the baby through breastmilk: Beans, Cabbage, Cherries, Corn, Dairy products, Garlic, Onions, Shellfish, Tomato, Broccoli, Caffeine, Chocolate, Corn syrup, Eggs, Hot peppers, Peanuts, Soy and tofu, Wheat, Brussel sprouts, Cauliflower, Citrus fruits and juices, Cucumber, Food dyes, Iron and other supplements and medication, Prunes and Spicy food. After you eat your craved food, do look out for signs that your breastfed baby has any of the following: -Extra fussiness. -Constipation or diarrhea. -Abdominal bloating and gas. -Excessive spitting up. -Colic symptoms. -Diaper rash. -Runny nose. -Eczema. http://www.breastfeeding-problems.com/foods-to-avoid-while-breastfeeding.html

Read more

Every baby is different but there are common food culprits that cause gas, crankiness, and fussiness in babies. Some examples would be:- Caffeine Garlic Tomatoes Shellfish Dairy Soy Eggs Hot Peppers and Spicy Foods Peanuts Chocolate Wheat Breads

Read more

Here's a handy chart! It's not explicitly for allergies but in general, these are the foods to take and to avoid:

Post reply image

thanks