Is it useful to attend the childbirth education programme at Mount Elizabeth? Costs around $350-450.

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I browsed through the course contents provided by Mount Elizabeth, it includes: https://www.mountelizabeth.com.sg/specialties/medical-specialties/women-gynaecology/antenatal-care -Maternal nutrition -Relaxation training -Breathing exercises for the different stages of labour -Breastfeeding -How to look after your newborn (ParentCraft) For first time mother, I encourage you to join as I believe these are useful information and prepare a mother-to-be ready for a childbirth, especially the breathing strategies for pain relief and breastfeeding. The class normally requires both father and mother to attend together. It is a way to help father-to-be to get a better understanding on what are the expectations during a pregnancy and after childbirth. Also, it helps bonding between the couple and get more involved in preparing the new baby. I attended labour class only as NUH can select the topics we want. I find it is helpful for first time mother, as normally first time mother is quite clueless on what to expect despite I agree hands-on experience is better. For my 2nd and 3rd pregnancy, I did not attend the class as I have the experience from my previous pregnancy and baby care already.

Read more
VIP Member

There is a child birth education workshop at Mount Elizabeth Novena. The weekend workshop classes are conducted on sat mornings at 9 am and weekday sessions are conducted on thursday evening at 6.45. Classes are in English and they serve light refreshments. Classes are about 10-12 couples. It's about $400 per couple. First session is about Yoga, pregnancy massage, labour massage and infant massage. Second session is about the miracle of birth, so what happens during and after birth, active birth, pain relievers during birth, immediate care of a newborn, managing your wound and understanding emotional changes. Session 3 is about breastfeeding and the joy of fatherhood where you learn how to burp a baby, baby bath, caring for baby's eyes, umbilical area. It's worth it for a first time parent - if you have the time and money to attend. :)

Read more
VIP Member

It's better to just read up on your own and get hands on practice when your baby is here. A lot of my friends who attended prenatal classes said that they were so bored, they didn't remember a lot and had to refer to the notes. I didn't go for any prenatal class and didn't have any issue taking care of my baby. All you have to do is Google. Or seek the help of an elder relative.

Read more

I feel that nothing beats the real hands-on practice. There are many videos that you can watch on YouTube that also gives similar extent of knowledge. Save the money for something better for your child. I learnt most of the stuff I know from my confinement nanny before she left, especially when it comes to bathing and ensuring hygiene.

Read more

We went through the programme and we liked it. I think it was more useful to the dads, since it covered what I needed to know (numbers, when to bring to hospital, etc). It also gave me a clear picture of what to expect during delivery. I would recommend to take it as a couple so that both have the same 'brief' on what to do and what to expect.

Read more

Sometimes when we google, we tend to get different answers from the website and it will make us more confused. During the childbirth class, you can let the instructor to clear your doubts straight away.

thanks