Is it safe to give baby gripe water?

18 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Gripe water is a liquid supplement of sodium bicarbonate and herbs (e.g., fennel, ginger, chamomile, cardamom, licorice, cinnamon, clove, dill, lemon balm or peppermint) that is believed to help in soothing colic, teething pain, hiccups and flatulence. It is considered to be safe for baby as long as it does not contain alcohol or sucrose. It is still best to check with your doctor before giving it to your baby. Some tips on choosing and using gripe water: - choose gripe water that is made of organic (preferably) herbs - watch out for ingredients such as gluten, alcohol, dairy or parabens (gripe water containing these should be avoided) - avoid those containing vegetable carbon or charcoal (thes may result in blackened stool and constipation) - refrain from giving it to babies less than one month of age (their digestive system is not as developed) - watch for allergic reactions such as hives, itchiness, watery eyes, sweiing of lips or tongue, trouble swallowing or breathing, vomiting or diarrhea You can refer to this article for more information on gripe water: http://www.beingtheparent.com/giving-gripe-water-to-babies-is-it-safe/

Read more

Yes, gripe water is safe for babies. I use Woodwards gripe water which is available at most supermarkets & pharmacies. My son hates the taste of it so using a syringe is out of question. What I do is to mix it into his feeds and it works better that way as his milk would mask the taste of gripe water.

Read more
Post reply image

Yes. It is safe. I am using wellness Organic Gripe Water. I got it from iherbs.com. It effective to relief the colic pain, in addition I do tummy massage after feeding the colic drop.

Post reply image

No dear it's contains alcohol. It's not safe ,just burp Ur baby , Tommy time, and oil massage is enough. If u have still confusion go see in Google search about it. It's not safe

Yes my pd herself advice me to give gripe water if milk supply does not kick in the next few days (for newborn)

Yes gripe water is very important, it helps the bby when they have cramps

thanks

Yes.. my fren told me to mix with milk and feed

Yes but let your doctor gives go ahead.

Yes. But on prescription is better