Is it just me or are men less empathetic to pregnant women on the trains? So far only women have given up their seats to me.

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

On the contrary, men have always given up their seats to me. I've had some extremely rude reactions from women. I was lucky in the sense that I never had to stand. On days where I wasn't offered a seat, I would just blatantly ask for the priority seat. Rather than keeping quiet and lament about how nobody is giving up the seats, just ask for a seat. If you genuinely need it, people will vacate the seats for you.

Read more

For me personally, even though I commute to work everyday via MRT and bus, thorough my pregnancy I was only offered less than 10 times. And all were foreign male workers. I don't think it's which gender that less enpathetic, but rather as a nation. It's quite sad to see that someone else has to tap and ask a "sleeping" healty person to get up and give his/her seat for someone who needs it.

Read more
VIP Member

It’s a mix actually. Some men are nice to give up seats the moment they see an expecting mum entering the train. The worse I have encountered is the person taking the priority seat is not sleeping but the moment he saw me approaching, he immediately take out a document file to read and ignore me.

Women understand. Men don't and unfortunately they never will understand

thanks

I saw the same issue, very odd to me.

😆