How many ultrasound scan during pregnancy? Anyone got poked too hard during scan?

I’m under subsidised route at kkh, I’ve had about 3 scans now, week 6, week 12, and week 20 which is recently. The week 20 scan hurt so much as the nurse was trying to get all the arms, legs and kidney and heart measurements. And she also poke too rough to my stomach and shake/slap my belly a few times to make my baby move. Is that normal? She seems like middle age lady from China. Now I’m scheduled to have another scan after 4 weeks, but I’m scared it will be too rough again.

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Happened to me recently (2days before). I'm also subsidised route at kkh. My sonographer also seems like middle age lady from China. I think we got the same one 🤔 she was very frustrated and harsh. she poked too rough and shake/slap to make my baby move. she also used the words, "aiyaaa! this baby, baby move, ahhh" she also asked me your baby okay or not, low risk for down syndrome right? still why not showing. I felt like crying while she scan me😢. My husband voiced out for me. Still she didn't mind to care. I thought to complain against her but at the end I didn't do it. I was happy that the scan was over. I think, this lady is the problem.

Read more

It was a bit uncomfortable for me, just a bit, because the sonographer had to press the handle deeper to make the baby move. Although she did whisper things like, “Baby, move ok… come on, Baby.” So I kinda understood that the baby has to be moved or probed to get access to selected views. But there were no shaking or slapping of my belly, and your experience sounds a bit harsh to me too. Perhaps you can feedback at your next scan. Typically, I believe the sonographer is credited for each scan so they are able to track and remind that person too?

Read more
VIP Member

Hi mummies! Understand that the intention of the sonographer is to get the baby to move so she is able to take all the measurements and scan. But if it makes the mother hurts and very uncomfortable then it is not normal at all. Please voice out and lodge a complain to the hospital so other mummies won't have to suffer from this same sonographer again. I did mine with TMC recently and the sonographer is very gentle, no uncomfortable feeling at all.

Read more

20 wk detailed scan they need to get various angles so I unds if they need baby to move. but slapping and shaking is quite extreme esp if it hurts so much that you cry. I'm with TMC but during my 20 wk scan they did explain they're trying to get baby to move so some proding was done but nothing like what you said. you need to voice out when you're hurting. baby is safe inside but you still shouldn't be in pain during the process.

Read more

Mine was KKH too. She was very rough and wasn’t gentle. Indian lady not Singaporean judging from the accent.. she wasn’t even friendly. I cried while she scans me cuz it hurts alot. Went home and i had few painful scratches and blisters due to her aggressive scannings. I have her name and all i wanted to lodge a complaint but I didn’t at the end of the day as I thought it’s “normal”.

Read more

Same here, middle aged Chinese lady with glasses on and hair bun up. I did my detailed scan last week at KKH ADC. She wanted to scan baby’s kidney, by pressing roughly on my belly and it was quite painful at that moment! She seems very impatient though.

Yes it can be quite normal. But usually the sonographers i experienced would usually say to let them know at any point when we feel uncomfortable.so it’s good to let them know if you dont feel good at any point

My Nurse also slap and jam the ultrasound thing just to move the baby. Did you catch her name? Cos I manage to take the name down of mine as she look middle age and from China. Did she wear specs?

TapFluencer

Honestly, I smack and push my bump at times too when I want to check the baby’s movement. It really won’t affect the baby inside you as it is protected by the amniotic sac.

girl you got to voice out. Well that's what I did, i don't like being treated that way. You don't like it, say something.