I'm breastfeeding my LO. I would like to check if I'm able to dye hair? Will it harm my LO?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

In general, it should be safe for breastfeeding mothers to have a hair treatment done. While the fear is usually that chemicals from such treatment would be absorbed (through the skin) the mother’s bloodstream and be passed on to the baby through her breast milk. While small amount may indeed be absorbed, it is unlikely that that trace amount will cause any permanent damage to the baby. Here are some points to keep in mind when contemplating a hair treatment: - ask about the chemicals used in the treatments. Resorcinol is one common chemical found in hair dyes and bleaching ingredient that is highly toxic and should be avoided. - after a hair treatment, there may be a more direct effect on the baby if he/she inhaled any lingering scent of ammonia or chemicals in the hair. - if possible, opt for organic products to help decrease the exposure to any potentially harmful chemicals For more information: http://momcenter.com.ph/articles/view/are-hair-treatments-safe-for-breastfeeding-mums Do your research for safe products. At the end of the day, a hair treatment is supposed to make a mother feel happy and it would defeat its purpose if it causes excessive worry instead.

Read more

Although no data is available on women receiving hair treatments while breastfeeding, it is known that little of the chemicals would actually be absorbed into the bloodstream. Therefore, the chance of them entering the milk and posing a risk to an infant would be unlikely. BUT if you are hesitant (very good reason to be), you can avoid treatments that involve the scalp because these can be absorbed into the bloodstream and in the long run, affect breastmilk. Consider alternatives like having highlights put in your hair because the dye is only placed on strands of your hair and does not touch the scalp. This way, the skin does not absorb the chemicals into the bloodstream. Another alternative is pure vegetable dyes including henna. You could also consider home made natural hair treatments. Here's a link that has some awesome ideas: http://www.womansday.com/style/beauty/advice/a1853/8-homemade-hair-treatments-110251/ If you are still concerned about hair treatments and dyes, you may want to talk to your doctor just to be safe.

Read more

Nothing will happen. Breastmilk will only be affect based on what you eat and drink. So basically whatever you consume.

VIP Member

You can definitely dye your hair even while breastfeeding. Go to better saloon who uses better products.