​If I drink a glass of wine, do I have to "pump and dump"?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Current research says that occasional use of alcohol (1-2 drinks) does not appear to be harmful to the nursing baby. In general, if you are sober enough to drive, you are sober enough to breastfeed. Less than 2% of the alcohol consumed by the mother reaches her blood and milk. Alcohol does not accumulate in breastmilk, but leaves the milk as it leaves the blood; so when your blood alcohol levels are back down, so are your milk alcohol levels. I did not pump and dump when I drank that one time as I only drank a mug. Baby had no problem sleeping and feeding during that feed. But if you are intoxicated, it is best to pump and dump once. If you are afraid, you can pump and dump once too.

Read more

It will take approximately two to three hours for one serving of wine to pass through the body. Therefore, you can wait at least two to three hours before nursing. Some of my friends still opt to pump and dump despite waiting. Also, it will be good to "pump and store" before you drink. Just in case your baby wakes up within the two to three hours time frame. For more information: http://www.llli.org/faq/alcohol.html

Read more

In many cases, you can breastfeed before smoking, drinking or taking medication, and simply pump and dump until at least three hours after your last substance intake. When in doubt, pump and dump.

VIP Member

No you do not have to pump and dump. As long as you don't feel intoxicated, you can consume alcohol and breastfeed as usual

VIP Member

Just wait for at least 3 hour interval after drinking, before ur next pumping or breastfeeding.

Never dump you can use the breast milk for a babies bath, washing hair ECT..

One glass no need