Hi, I'd like to know your opinions: My rational for compulsory nap is so that I don't have to deal with gross misbehaviour in the evenings, and so they are rested enough. However, my kids fight nap every weekend (they nap in school on weekdays), and I drive myself crazy over it. Should I enforce nap time? Or leave them running wild to save my sanity? Kids are 5, 3 and 2 Exasperated

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I think nap time is necessary. Sleep is essential for their growth and lack of sleep may make them grouchy, which might lead to them fighting. I also realise that if my boy does not nap enough, he will wake up at night crying. Make it a quiet event before nap time, just like bedtime. That would mean no TV, toys or any stimulating activities. Keep them in the bedroom, lights out, draw the curtains, and try singing nursery rhymes or reading stories. If you pretend to sleep, they may gradually sleep too. Even if they don't sleep, they still get some quiet time to rest. I imagine that this is what childcare centres do too, since they have a schedule to follow.

Read more