How do we prevent child violent?

I were told by my child form teacher that my 7 year old boy has been quite violent to his classmates. The teacher have received feedback from 2 of his classmates that my son kicked them in the legs and stomach respectively. Also used a ruler to scratch another classmate. My son got angry when he was scolded for not being pleasant to his classmate and ran out of the classroom. How do we reinforce good behaviour/manners/habits for his own good. So that he could understand the importance of these good values in forging good friendship with his classmates. Its easy said then done. Do you think there's a need to bring him for a counciling session? If it were your child what will you do?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It's vital to encourage good habits of children in their early years as what they learn now will stay with them for the rest of their life. I'd suggest keeping things positive, and setting strong ground rules - if they misbehave, they will miss out on something they really want. Explain to them why they are in the wrong and discuss alternative options for how they could have handled something better (and why this would be better for them). And reward them for good behaviour. Also, maybe involve him in community projects so he enjoys helping others - this could be good motivation. If this doesn't have success, take them to counselling for additional help. Good luck!

Read more

You've listened to the teacher's side of the story. What about your child's? Has your child always been this violent or it's the first time something like this happen? Have a heart-to-heart talk with him first. Is there any teacher he's especially close with during his kindergarten? If yes, maybe you can ask the teacher to help and talk to your boy. Because 10 words from a teacher he's close with is going to be more effective than 1000 words from us. (*Based on personal experience though.) If no, then the counsellor will be the last resort.

Read more

Will try to understand from my child first, perhaps that are some unspoken things that need to be resolved. They could be experiencing something that he finds difficult to express and resort to violence.

VIP Member

Many TV shows, even those meant for kids are quite violent these days so do try n limit his screen time etc. Let your child listen to soothing music and be selective about the shows he watches on telly.

VIP Member

Is there any violence that your son is exposed to at home or through media? Try to limit those experiences as it can really affect a child’s psyche.

We must set good example to guide our children. Never fight with your spouse infront of the children.