5-6 weeks pregnant. How was your first gynae check up?

I just went for my first gynae check up. They did a scan and all they said was “ I can’t see baby yet. I can only see yolk sac”. The expression somehow left me thinking whether am I really pregnant? Coz they also kept saying “don’t know if the pregnancy will progress”. Gosh. Edit: it was the sonographer at KKH who said all these. Not the gynae. UPDATE 8/12: I just went for my scan yesterday and they saw the heartbeat and babies head. I’m at 8 weeks now. THANK GOD. phew.

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Remind me when I go KK for my scan during my first pregnancy (5-6 weeks) The nurse told me that, is might not be a baby is something else . Maybe is some blood thing etc . The nurse keep saying she can’t see the baby at all etc . Make me so worried . Even the first consultation doctor also no idea what’s going on and my next consultation at 3:30pm so waited until 4plus and the doctor asked me go A&E to see the doctor instead . Because she’s going to off work already . My appointment at 8:30am, I did 3-4 scans and 2 consultation . Even send to A&E . End up everything done at 7pm . Is my first pregnancy, so I was pretty scared and don’t know what to do . Is kind of sad but the A&E doctor is good and explain to me everything even said sorry to me . And she told me the baby is good .

Read more
3y ago

Yea right!! It’s the sonographer who said all those to you right! Me too. Argh.

VIP Member

That was very rude of the doc. I believe he/she isn't your private gynec. If it is then I suggest you to change your gynec. At 5-6 weeks since it's too early it's difficult to see clearly. I couldn't see mine too at 5 weeks. It was just a flickering image. I was asked to come for another scan in 2 weeks and I could clearly see then. I got referral from polyclinic and went KKH. Since you are in early stage finalize on a hospital and get recommendations on good gynec. Do remember to take your folic acid tablets. Do not wait until any further confirmation. There is no side effects at the same time it helpful for baby's neuro and spine development.

Read more
3y ago

It was actually the sonographer who said that. And I wouldn’t wanna deliver anywhere else except for KKH honestly since I’m diabetic. My experience with the first baby was great. I just hope this is a one time off with that sonographer.

You may want to reconsider your gynae if their words don't make you feel comfortable? The vibes must be right :) When I called up a few clinics at Week 5/6, the receptionists generally advised to make the first visit at Week 8, so I did just that, and was able to get a good tummy ultrasound scan. You'll get a good progress update during your next visit in a couple of weeks, don't worry!

Read more
3y ago

Well to be honest, I don’t have much of a choice. I’m at KKH and it wasn’t the gynae who said that, it was the sonographer who did the scan. But everyone else kept saying it’s too early to say anything. I have an appointment in the coming weeks to see the progress of the little yolk sac. But it is honestly indeed scary to even think about no progress.

Yolk sac indicates pregnancy but probably too early to scan/see baby(it’s normal cause baby is still so tiny and developing) you should go for another scan or check up in a few weeks time but with another gynae. The gynae you visited is very rude and offensive.

Did a PT twice using Clearblue,went to GP did the urine test & hcg blood count.got to found out i was positive and my hcg count showed im preg at 5 weeks plus. went to poly, and got referred to KKH during 8 weeks and was told i was 9.4weeks

3y ago

Congrats mama!

You're definitely pregnant since the yolk sac is present. At 5-6 wks your fetal pole is still too small. Wait for another 2 weeks. By then can see already and sometimes can even hear the heartbeat. Think positive, alright! Take care

Professional gynae would use an ultrasound probe through the vagina during early pregnancy. Tummy cannot see anything. I could see my water bag and yolk at Week 6

3y ago

Yep I had a transvaginal scan to see the yolk sac. They could see the waterbag too. But that’s all they could see. They said no baby yet. 😑

I suggest u consider to change a gynae... it’s terrible if a gynae give negative vibes to mummies....

3y ago

Haha! It’s at KKH and it was the sonographer who said that. I guess they were being very factual about it. Coz the risk of a miscarriage is very high at this moment.