Is fish oil necessary?

I was prescribed prenatal care fish oil by my gynae, but recently i am getting very sensitive with smell hence i couldnt even swallow the fish oil (it has been 1 week) due to its smell once i put it in my mouth. Anyone have any other recommendation? Also or isit better for me to consume salmon twice - 3x a week?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
TapFluencer

I am a pure vegetarian so my gynae prescribed vegan tablets from BELVEA. I found online that they are made from a specific algae so the smell isn't pleasant either, I still remember I used to ask my husband to take the capsule because once I tried to take the capsule out of the tablet cover and the capsule broke leaking the oil out the smell was too pungent I almost vomited. So my husband will take the capsule and give me everyday so I will swallow it quickly with water.

Read more

My gynae didnt recommend, because he said that the composition may not be reliable + it is encased in the layer of capsule. Have been taking fish almost daily instead and bb is doing well. I also read online that the absorption of DHA via fish oil capsules requires more effort and less effective relative to consuming fish.

Read more

Hello mummy! Maybe you can try vegan DHA. I’m also more sensitive to smell and is ok with this. I checked with KK gynae and their pharmacist, it’s safe for pregnancy even though it’s not the prenatal version. Got this from watsons :)

Post reply image

Hi mummy! I didnt take the fish oil thru out my pregnancy.. salmon for sure!!!! I ate salmon since the start of my pregnancy and it works as well! I even stop taking the calcium pills so instead i drink milk every single day. 🙂🙂

1y ago

Oh! And i stop taking vitamins at 3rd trimester because i kinds get bored.😂😂😂

i told my gynae i can’t stand the fish oil and she prescribed Ganilia instead. much better.