Hi I just want to rant. Not too sure if I am having some kind of depression or blues. I had been away from Singapore for a year because I quit my job and followed my husband overseas. Came back when I was five months pregnant because I just couldn't handle pregnancy alone In a foreign country. But my husband is still overseas. Throughout pregnancy I did everything on my own mostly, packing my room and baby stuffs, moving heavy things and going baby fair alone to buy everything. After I gave birth husband comes back to visit once a month only. I totally feel like a single parent. My plan is to find a job back as we still need to service mortgage and my husband salary allowances will be cut once he returns to Singapore. I have been trying to actively look for a job for the whole year. Went for several interviews and for some companies I even went through many rounds and got into the final round. But everytime I am not hired at the end. Just went for a third round of interview and the HR said they are still reviewing a few more candidates. I think I lost my chance again. I am so stressed and down from being rejected again and again. I used to be able to find a job very easily. Now with age and a two year gap in my working life I know it is hard to find a job back. But I never expect to take so long close to a year and still no job. I am feeling so dejected and wonder what is wrong with me. I am willing to take a pay cut but not so much, however I am afraid I have to lower my salary by a lot and that will affect the Amount of cash flow. We still need to Reno our house and buy a car. And most importantly I feel so sad that I have to start all over in my career again. Inside my heart I blame my husband indirectly. I feel so scared sometimes, going to company and company for many rounds of interview. So tired but still have to find time to apply for jobs and husband is not around to help. Sorry for lengthy post. Anyone is like me looking for a job??

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yes I plan to use contractor instead of getting interior designer and I have accumulated pictures of the look and feel I want for my house over the past two years. Told my husband to take on the Reno project as there is too much for me to handle. He needs to find the contractors and sit with me to go through all the Themes for each room. But he is not being very proactive and I am so irritated. As for jobs actually I see many jobs in the marketing for my line but some are not suitable maybe due to industry or location. I really try to be very positive but I am so scared that already two years I am still without a job. Some interviews I feel went so well and I invest so much time in them going for so many rounds and meeting ceo, but still at the end someone else get the Job. I feel so sad that I perhaps have to lower my career level and salary and start over again what I have built for 11years. Not being able to buy the things I want for my kids and myself. I try to make some income by selling things online, selling away baby preloved stuffs . Really feel I try so hard in life handling everything alone and trying to stay positive. But still I don't get a job, I don't get a husband who knows how to put in more efforts. I feel so sad but still have to act happy and take care of baby if not she will be affected too but sometimes I really wanna cry it out and actually tell my baby mommy is very scared too of the things she has to face in life now. I wanna enjoy motherhood but all these things are making me so stressed

Read more

I not looking for a job but I think economy is on the slow down as there are quite a number of my friends' their companies got hiring freeze. Well I guess it is pretty normal to feel some resentment about the current situation but be careful not to direct it towards ur husband because it won't be helping any matters now regardless of the reasons back then when u quit ur job. No point talking abt the past because it can't be changed, why is past is past. Work it out in the present and for the future I would say jia you on the job search or land for 2nd choices first since ur first choices doesn't seem to be working out. Finances and cash flow are fluid - if can't afford it now then don't do it now. Reno can get contractor to do for u, cheaper but require u to be more hands on. Car is a major liability so don't get unless u really got the extra money and there is a strong need for it - just get taxi if need be, it is potentially cheaper

Read more

I lost my job when I was on probabtion and my boss found out I was pregnant. Haven't been able to find a job since then, my baby is almost 1 yo now. I understand your concerns. My hubby's business isn't doing well either so I have been struggling with our daily expenses too. I have just started doing some designing freelance work at home and begin having some income. I believe if you can't find a job, you can try some home base freelance work to do. May not be enough but it's a start. I also realised that it can be not that expensive to raise a child, you just need to forego some luxuries like holidays, spas, car or shopping and keep it simple. I feel we woman always make sacrifices like our career and for our family, it's became the norm, so just be positive abt it and life goes on. Just need to change mindset sometimes.

Read more

1. About you feeling like a single parent.. Umm, like you’ve said, your hubby is the sole breadwinner in the family so he can’t just leave his job and come after you. Although I do understand that it’s stressful and tiring to do things by yourself, but do understand that it’s hard for your hubby too ya. 2. Economy isn’t good right now so there’s headcount freeze almost everywhere. You might want to wait till probably June-July or so where you’ll have a higher chance (since people will start changing job after bonus). Are you trying to find a job on your own or have you tried your luck with recruitment agency? If you haven’t tried recruitment agency, you might want to give it a go. They are surprisingly very useful.

Read more

Would self reflect and try to determine why you didn’t land the job. Was it lack of skill sets? Or were you complaining and negative in the job interview. We have a blanket ban in my conpany on hiring people who complain and whine. I think the motherhood gap is actually not a very big deal in singapore. We have never questioned another mom why they took a career break. Good luck with the hunt! (Am a hiring manager)

Read more
TapFluencer

You are in a different phase of your life now. There are several ways to look at the scenario: 1. You try to upgrade your skills with training to land a better paying job 2. You do an honest assessment and downgrade your lifestyle to a simpler life 3. Take a pay cut and rebuild your career from there. All in your hands how you want to move forward

Read more

Dear mum, First of all stop being too hard on yourself and relax. You are doing good and something will work out soon. Please try using your friends network for referral. Referral goes a long way. Also, it might take little time as the job market is very tight but it will happen so don't worry :)

Read more
VIP Member

Cheer up, the market now is not easy unless you are willing for a pay cut. Perhaps can seek recruitement company help? Or any Friend referral might be faster??

There's always something to do. You could look at doing part-time work to get something going. Take a look at job ads online to see what's available.