should i expres BF till empty?

I visited the LC from Thomsom PCC and they taught me express 15 mins + hand massage to release milk ducts x 3 cycle. Previously I had engorgement so they helped me to clear the block ducts. I also had sore nipple due to prolonged expression (30min cause spectra 9+). At home, I use spectra 9+ with 15 min cycle x3. However I dont feel that the milk has fully been empty from my breast. Should I continue more cycles or is it better to remain at 3 cycle? (At PCC they used medela hospital grade pump and able to pump 50ml in 1 cycle but with spectra 9+ I could only extract 30ml in 3 cycle) TIA

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

When pumping, I will use my other hand to press the top, outer side, bottom and inner side sequentially, to get all the milk out. I change the area i’m pressing when I see that the milk stops shooting out, then when I press a new area, milk shoots out again. Emptying the breast is important for 2 reasons: 1) preventing milk retention that can cause blockage/mastitis, 2) maintaining your milk supply.

Read more
VIP Member

Yes you should clear your bm empty. You can try another 15-30mins to clear? If didn’t clear it will engorged again. Keep on massage your breast, bath with warm water or use a hot towel ( short ) to compressed to it Maybe you can consider Spectra S1 / medela Less troublesome which don’t have to self express each time

Read more

After I pump I will finish off with hand expression. It helps to empty the breasts and also helps me get 10-20ml more milk.

4y ago

Until v little or no more milk. Both sides yeah probably 10min or slightly less

Super Mum

Breasts wont be empty per se, just have to clear milk as much as possible. Try breast compression when pumping

VIP Member

Remain at 3 cycle but increase the suction so that you can clear the breast milk more effectively?