Living with in law

I am a SG Citizen and my husband is a Malaysian PR with siblings (WP holders) in Singapore. Recently they're planning to move in with us in our 4room HDB. They're very nice to me but I am afraid I will lose my privacy and freedom at home. Can anyone share some experiences? TIA!

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My dad's PR with siblings and my Malaysian relatives do tend to stay with us as Singapore housing is a big chunk of their salary. The house is big enough (we stayed HUDC), but the arrangement is usually temporary as they feel uncomfortable imposing as well, when their job stabilise and they form their local social circles they may be able to move out and share rental with another couple. I can tell my mom is like "Phew I can let my hair down finally" when they move out. It isn't really much of an imposition if your relatives are nice considerate people; mine tend to stay in their room unless socializing after dinner or helping out with chores/cooking. My mom had booted a relative's +1 out of the house before though because he trespassed into her bedroom to borrow their stuff while she was sleeping.

Read more

u have to take note of other things. it also means your total household income will increase when they use your residential address for govt related stuff (e.g. to renew work permit). this will put you at a disadvantage if govt is giving out any grants and whatnot cos it is usually based on total household income.

Read more

I am also singaporean and my hubby is Malaysian pr too. Hubby wanted them to move in with us but I don’t rly like the idea of having to ‘pretend’ at home even though they’re nice ppl.

TapFluencer

as much as possible, try not to unless is a short term arrangement. conflicts will arise due to different family background. unless u are super patient and accommodating.

Super Mum

It really depends on the people moving in with you. From my experience, they tend to stay in their rooms more often than they are in common areas.

VIP Member

think of the bright side u can go out for date night easily

if possible, best is not to have them at home with you.