I am a regular smoker and take 1-3 cigs per day. How long before I stop in order to conceive? Will I be able to conceive a healthy child if I stop a month before conception?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

How are you planning to quit? Cold turkey or will you be utilising nicotine patches/gum? I've read that it would probably be fine if you were to quit about 1 or 2 months before trying for a baby. Ideally, there should be no nicotine at all in your system during pregnancy, since nicotine constricts the blood vessels including the ones connected to your placenta and the baby. Thus it would be better to wait slightly longer if you are using nicotine products before you try to conceive. You could go cold turkey but the body will undergo lots of changes and it might not be too conducive to conceive during this time. A friend of mine actually waited half a year before she attempted to conceive.

Read more
VIP Member

I quit after knowing that I am pregnant for 7 weeks. It was immediate though, and no cravings for cigs. I used to smoke at least 20 sticks a day. Baby has been growing well so far. But of course it's better to quit and have a healthy lifestyle At least 3 months before trying to conceive. Eat well, live well, make sure you have necessary supplements to prepare your body.

Read more