NIPT and FTS

Hi mummies, I went to KKH and I went for FTS at 12 weeks and results came out for trisomy 21 as 1:2 which is extremely high risk. I’m only 28 and first pregnancy. Very very saddening to hear the news. Now I did NIPT at Thomson medical and doctor said looking at the scan now it looks normal to him.. he wouldn’t have guessed something is wrong if I didn’t tell him. Now fingers crossed and praying so hard. Anyone else went through similar situation? Please share..

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi! Certainly not an expert in any sense of the word, but I think the FTS (like OSCAR) give you probabilities rather than certainties - the scans etc provide a composite score and which are dependent on human skill to measure and so has a rate of false positives. I would think given the NIPT depends on free floating DNA is possibly 'more accurate' but I could be wrong. Did your TMC doctor say that s/he couldn't tell that anything was wrong looking at the FTS scan or the NIPT scan? Perhaps discuss the results of both with the doctor if you've not.

Read more
3y ago

NIPT results came in as Low risk and baby is healthy. Thank god.