Ultrasound

I am recently tested pregnant and now trying to decide if I want to go down the government or private route. Do gynaes do ultrasounds and give pictures at every visit? What are the differences in choosing govt or private apart from the fees and choosing of gynaes?

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
TapFluencer

Actually I chose my gynae first and she was a part of women's specialty clinic group and I used to go to the clinic for every checkup, scan, test etc. My gynae used to take scan every visit but in the initial stages didn't give picture for every visit but from second trimester each scan was priced and I had to file the images. Cost 90-120$ 1.5 yrs back. Only the 20weeks detailed scan I did at Mount Elizabeth. My doctor was affiliated to Mt.E, Mt.A and Thomson. I chose Mt.A after a comparison of number of factors like features/packages/price/distance from our place of stay etc. I had a couple of friends who delivered baby at govt hospital and from my observation/our experiences here are some differences Private hospital 1. Service 2. Quick response 3. Nurses/midwives to check on you frequently and at your beck and call 4. Healthy confinement food to suit your needs 5. Comparatively less patients so more attention 6. More single occupancy rooms, sharing is also to a max of 2 persons per room. 7. Pricier than govt but you can make a choice based on your income and saving or insurance benefit at workplace Govt hospitals: 1. Room sharing very common. Some hospitals even have 4 sharing rooms. Although it is your choice what type of room you want but it is based on availability too. 2. Confinement food may not be available for the mother for all the meals, one of the govt hospitals only provides one meal a day(breakfast or lunch I am not sure) the patient has to find out their own means for the rest of the meals 3. Individual attention might be lacking due to comparatively larger number of patients 4. Budget friendly, very reasonable compared to private.

Read more
1y ago

She meant 1 confinement meal a day instead of all 3 meals

I was recently pregnant and had this same dilemma too.. I went subsidised NUH and found the waiting times pretty decent. Just make sure u ask for earlier weekday slots are u aren’t late for your appointments. Fastest appointment done is 30 minutes and slowest was 2 hours (we were late). I have gone to KkH subsidised and find the wait times relatively longer even though i was on time. I actually miscarried at 5 months and was admitted in KKH private and let me tell u my gynae did not even make it for my delivery-miscarriage. I think that cemented my belief that private or govt makes no difference. but i do recommend private for delivery simply because my husband was allowed to sleep in our room throughout my hospitalisation. It ll be great if u can go for your gynae appts in govt subsidised and check if everything is going well whether there are going to be any complications. Now if there are, expect there to be many costs and based on your financials choose private but only within 2 hospitals that deal with complicated deliveries like Kkh and nuh!

Read more

Im at KKH as a subsided (aka via government route) patient. My last scan was when i was 10 weeks. Yes, basically i have been getting ultrasounds and pictures for my appointment. The gynae (note that it’s random gynaes seeing you during each visit as it’s a subsided route) scheduled another appointment for me when i’m 14 weeks, she said next appointment to hear baby’s heartbeat to ensure all is good, no scan. However, i requested for scan and she said ok, she’ll add on the scan for me 🙂 I have went for private scan before and it costed almost 3 times more, i would say to each individual financial ability. Even though it’s a subsided route, just talk to the gynae and they can make it happens. You just have to pay extra for the scan only. If i remember correctly, it’s only about additional $50 for the scan. For a peace of mind, why not? Congratulation on your pregnant and good luck to your decision!

Read more

i was a KKH subsidised patient and enjoyed the cheaper fees for consults and scans till Wk 24 . Later i decided to convert to private KKH gynae ( paid for the package which has all in) because i needed peace of mind of knowing who will be monitoring me and delivering my baby. In KKH, i def got pics during all the scan visits (as long as apptmt says ADC) and if not, the doc consult will monitor heartbeat. If you intend to go to private hospital, the costs is actually more expensive and you will have to put down a deposit closer to 3rd trimester. Bear in mind also if any conplications arise, they will still send u to KKH. That was the decision point for me as i am an older mum.

Read more

If you want private, i think you can try thomson. Im 14w+ now. I took up package at thomson punggol. 700+ for the package, include consultation fee, scan (got photo everytime), and basic vitamins for each visit. I took oscar scan, plus detailed scan total cost abt 600+. So far i paid these much, and abit more here and there for some other pills. U can use this as a reference for current stage. As for bills, i asked my friend. Govt he end up also paid 8k+ (idk why), but i think private some ppl said 10k+? Not really very far off. But im nt sure if accurate cos i also hear from others.

Read more
5mo ago

sorry is this Dr Adrian you're saying? any reviews about him to share?

I am concurrently doing both at the same time although seeing my private gynae much lesser (due to cost). The main difference is when you do subsidized govt hospital (I go to kkh) it is the ultrasound technician that does the scan for you. Then she will present a report and you will see the gynae later. For private, the gynae himself/ herself will do the scan for you personally. So you decide which method you prefer. Some prefer gynaes to do their scan cuz maybe can see clearer? Lol. But yes for both, they will provide you with ultrasound scan pics after every visit. 😊

Read more
Super Mum

I'm currently almost 27 weeks pregnant and have been seeing Dr Sim Lee Ngor at TMC since the beginning of my pregnancy. Every visit, they will take my blood pressure, weight and urine test and for the scans they will always let me bring it home. She doesn't rush through her appt and each visit is always about 20 minutes including scans and if you have any questions to ask her. My check up initially was every 2-3 weeks because I had some brownish discharge which later was confirmed to be bacterial infection and nothing sinister, thank God. Now it's every 3 weeks as long as no issues.

Read more
1y ago

Hi Tania, nope it's not a long wait as long as you stick to your appt timing!

I went to private for 1st 3 month afterwhich I swapped to private at NUH. Both gave me ultrasound photos for every visit. Even though both are private, the cost is Definitely way more expensive at private gynae for the same type of scan. for the down syndrome test it costed few hundreds more at private gynae. If cost is a concern, govt hospital will be your choice to go. if you prefer customer service/lesser waiting time go for private gynae. but take note some private gynae would oftened persuade you to go for c sect. As it helps to accommodate their schedule.

Read more
1y ago

Hi, at which weeks you took down syndrome test?

Private: •Exp •overall better customer service experience •caters to your schedule •Not so long waiting time Govt: •Affordable •longer waiting time during visits •still the better equipped one in the sense of (e.g. deliver in private hosp but if bb has issues, they will still direct to kkh in the end)..

Read more
1y ago

If babies have issues, if private hospital cant handle then will transfer out.

govt charges are still slightly cheaper compared to private, and can claim certain subsidies. if you are private pat at govt hosp then yes will have scan at every visit.