no heartbeat

hi all, i really need advise here. went for my scan which doc at kkh counted as 6weeks 3days but turn out my scan only shows yolk size with a waterbag but there is yet to have heartbeat of my baby. i am so worried as doc ask me to come back for another scan in 2weeks time. Doc says my baby may be small or my ovalution is too early. what does that mean?

22 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I understand how anxious you felt. Their calculation of week in pregnancy is based on first day of last menses, with assumption that ovulation occurs 2 weeks after first day of menses. However, it doesn't apply to all cases. Some women would have ovulation later than 'the expected 2 weeks'. (i think the dr meant the baby is either too small to be seen or u ovulated later* and hence conceived later than expected) I went for my first scan at week 6 day 4. Only a water bag (not even yolk sac) was shown on both abdomen and transvaginal scan. Dr couldn't rule out the possibility that it could be a non viable pregnancy. Then i had some spotting with pain and went ED at week 7 day 1. Results still the same - nothing is seen except an empty water bag. Another episode of ED visit at week 7 day 3 with intensified pain and spotting at this visit, and the yolk sac finally showed up (but no sign of baby or heartbeat still). Since the multiple visits got me too anxious and worried, the dr recommended to repeat scan in 2 weeks time to allow more time for the baby to grow and finally i saw the baby (aka the magical bean) on the scan with heartbeat at week 8 day 5. However, the baby size is correlated to only week 6 day 4. So indeed i conceived later than expected! I hope my experience could help you through this long waiting period of 2 weeks. Do stay hopeful :)

Read more