Constipation at 38+ weeks

I never had constipation during my pregnancy until now at 38 weeks !!! Will it affect my delivery ? I am opting for natural delivery , and also I have been trying to squat and force my self to shit but barely anything or very very small pieces comes out. Will this affect the baby if I keep forcing myself and also will it increase my dilation ??? Feeling abit hopeless now.

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

i have constipation since my 1st trimester and now im already 35weeks. i even have hammoroids. straining your stool out will not affect the baby but I'd suggest you take stool softener. my gynae gave me figs syrup, it does help. i still have constipation though (my stool is like small stones) but atleast i dont have to strain myself or force them out like before.

Read more

Squatting won’t help in constipation. Take stool softener or banana or prune juice or probiotics. I was once like you and damn scared will go into early labour. Was abt 20 weeks pregnant that time but luckily nth happened. Also don’t hold back any feel to pass motion. Even if it’s just a small feel just go to the toilet.

Read more

Forcing your stool out can cause haemorrhoids. Can ask from your gynae for lactulose(few dollars only), it will help soften the stool so don't need to strain too much. Probiotics helps too

Eat more fruits and vegetables. 1-2 fruits with veggies per day will do. I changed my eating habit since mid 1st trimester, and no constipation after that.

Had bad constipation during both my pregnancies. Only stool softener works. Gynae told me not to take prune juice during my 1st pregnancy as I had GD.

i had the worst constipation 4 days 1 time s***.... i tried everything including prune the only relief i got was after taking stool softeners. Heavens

I have been having this issue since 3rd trimester. Coconut water and apples works for me to have smooth bowels.

Get a bottle of lactulose at Watson’s/Guardian!