I need some advice. My baby is turning 3 months in a couple of days time. for the past few days she has been sleeping though the night and not waking up to drink. even if she wakes up, she didn't cry for milk and goes back to sleep after some patting. she goes on without drinking for up to 10 hours. is that OK? throughout the day she drinks a total of 700ml. I am so worried that she will be dehydrated or gets really hungry. should i just feed her even if she didn't cry for milk at night? by the way dream feeding doesn't work on her as she gets really upset when we try to give her milk when she is not fully awake. she is on total breast milk.

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It is actually quite common for young babies to sleep through the night and not want to nurse at night. My friend's baby went through the same thing and what my friend did was to increase baby's nursing time in the day. She fed baby once every 2 hours instead of the previous 3 and she "tanked" baby with milk before bedtime. Baby sleeps through the night and there is no worry if baby is under-fed. Also, try to minimize any distractions when feeding baby in the day. Babies usually get distracted by so many things as her surroundings are more lively in the day thus causing her to drink less milk. Nurse baby in a quiet and slightly darkened room if possible.

Read more