co-sleeping almost take away my baby

I might be the dumbest mom out there, or maybe just the most clueless... Ever since my little one was born, I've always chosen to sleep together in one bed. At first, yeah, I tried to get my baby to sleep in their crib. But man, I was so exhausted because every time they woke up at night, I had to fetch them for breastfeeding. I nearly tripped or slipped a few times because I was so tired and barely slept while carrying my baby. Since then, we've always slept together. Even though a lot of people warned me about the dangers, I didn't listen. I was just trying to prioritize my own health too. Sleeping with the baby is so convenient – if they cry, I just pop them onto my boob for a feed. Then that day finally came... Turns out, I fell asleep and my baby ended up covered by my boob 😭 If my husband hadn't woken up, my baby might not have made it. But luckily, he did wake up and shook me awake in a panic. I bawled my eyes out thinking about the worst-case scenario. Sorry, sweetheart, mama messed up, mama was careless, mama was tired, mama was selfish thinking about her own health. Has anyone else gone through something like this? Or got any tips about it?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Umm it is dangerous but yes its easier for feeding n putting to sleep. What we did was kick my husband out of bed so he sleeps on a floor mattress and so he doesnt smack the baby in his sleep. So more wiggle space i will put baby further from me and barricade all sides, avoid pillows because yes suffocating hazards SIDS etc. We ended up dismantling the bed and put mattress on the floor because baby has fallen off before. Dismantled once my core has healed after giving birth so no need to strain body every u stand n lie down. Make sure ur bed is not super soft because baby might roll on face and thats another problem. And since breastfeeding our body cycles seems to regulate better, i stir awake better after months of practice and follow babys cue for hunger and fussiness (this one proven scientifically) 14 months in and thank God no incidences. Its damn exhausting to stay awake even though we do side feeding (since baby is large enough to latch sideways haha) , so i make an effort to play with my handphone while feeding even if its three four am dream feeds so i never ever fall asleep while feeding. After feed, i push baby at least enough arm wiggle space away from me and sleep lying on my back. Im pretty sure not the best answer but we are lucky this has been the safest practice for us. I hope it gets better for u too! ❤️❤️❤️

Read more

if there's space beside your bed, try putting the cot right next to u. At least baby would be nearer.

TapFluencer

🙏💕

👍