Folic Acid dosage

May I know for early pregnancy the mg of folid acid to take.. i am at early pregnancy

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It's recommended that all women who could get pregnant should take a daily supplement of 400 micrograms of folic acid before they're pregnant and during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy, when the baby's spine is developing. If you did not take folic acid supplements before getting pregnant, you should start taking them as soon as you find out you're pregnant.You need to take folic acid supplements (easily available in pharmacies) because it would be almost impossible to get enough folic acid just from food.

Read more

Women who are pregnant or trying to become pregnant should get at least 400 micrograms (400 mcg) of folic acid daily before conception and for at least 3 months afterward. Studies show that this greatly reduces a baby's risk of serious neural tube defects.

It’s highly recommended to take 400mcg of Folic Acid a day 3 months prior planned conception and continue for 12 weeks during early pregnancy, after that, 600mcg daily.

3y ago

Yes. And ladies I meant micrograms. 5mg is even more. So that’s good.

You need to take 400 micrograms of folic acid each day. Taking adequate amounts of folic acid before and during pregnancy may help decrease the risk of neural tube defects, congenital heart defects, cleft palate and cleft lip.

most tablets are in 5mg. you can take those available over the counter. otherwise recommended dosage for pregnancy is only 400mcg.

me early pregnancy 5weeks , my ob advised me to take folic acid 5mg

Post reply image
2y ago

Same here. I was on fertility treatment and even before pregnancy my doctor recommended 5mg of folic acid every morning. Buy them off the shelf from any pharmacy. According to my doctor, don’t bother the “branded” ones because that are micrograms (mcg) and not miligrams (mg) meaning that you’re taking a lot lesser than recommended for pregnancy and they are a lot more expensive. If buying from guardian or watson, find it at the pharmacist area, it’s in a normal medicine packaging with the guardian sticker.

Currently I’m 4 weeks preg. GP prescribed me with 5mg = 5000 micrograms.

Check with your gyane on dosage. Mine gave me 5mg.

The gynae will advise you on that .

Gyane will advise