I just went for my appointment and my gynea did a Group B Strep test. What is the purpose of this test?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Group B streptococcus (GBS) is a type of bacterial infection that can be found in a pregnant woman’s vagina or rectum. This bacteria is normally found in the vagina and/or rectum of about 25% of all healthy, adult women. Women who test positive for GBS are said to be colonized. A mother can pass GBS to her baby during delivery. http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-complications/group-b-strep-infection/ I had strep B during my 1st pregnancy. There are 2 types of treatments, one is given antibiotics before delivery while another one is given IV drip with antibiotics during the labour. The antibiotics IV drip need at least 4 hours to take effect to protect the baby. However, for me due to my fast labour (3 hours), the IV drip did not manage to take effect. Thus, my newborn needed to be take antibiotics injection every 8 hours until the bacteria culture results was out and confirmed clear from infection.

Read more

Group B streptococcus can be reserved. It has a lot to do with your diet and it can be reversed in two to three weeks time. About 10% of the women tested GBS + may end up negative at birth and likewise. It is not a valid reason to choose cesarean birth as cesarean is a major abdominal surgery with risks to both mother and baby. There are many ways to reverse the condition if you are tested GBS+. All the best to you.

Read more

Yes, some people might choose to go for c-section if tested GBS positive. However, there is another set of risks for c-section too. I had the same worries whether to go for c-section when I was tested GBS but my gynae reaasure me the prevention done to reduce infection are effective. Also, I went for 2nd gynae opinion and he held the same suggestions on how to handle the GBS during birth.

Read more

I did my test nearing my full term. According to gynae, if I'm tested positive I may not be able to give birth vaginally as I may pass the virus to the baby. So we did it to confirm my choice of delivery.

VIP Member

To test if you are positive for Strep B infection. If you are, you will have to be given antibiotics. http://pregnant.sg/articles/screening-tests-pregnancy-screening-group-b-streptococcus-gbs/

However, I did not have GBS for my 2nd pregnancy. Thus, it is not necessary to have GBS for all the pregnancies.

thanks