Jealous siblings

I have a newborn and his brother is two years apart. My elder child will find any opportunity to beat his younger brother whether the adults are around or not around. I have explained to him that the newborn is his brother and must care of him but maybe he is too young to understand. He will grab his younger brother's clothes, throw something at him and violent towards him. When will he understand and not to treat his brother that way. Is too dangerous to leave them alone even for a second.

14 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

This is a phase in all older kids and it will go away eventually. The best you can do is spend time with him as much as possible. When a new baby comes along, the baby has everyone's attention and obviously yours because your need to care for him. This makes your older one lonely and jealous of the older. You can use punishment but it may make him resentful of his brother. Talk to him and do say your brother is young and needs mummy's attention just like him when he was younger but it does not mean you love him less. You love him equally. Give him more hugs and kisses and play with him. Let someone take of your newborn for while. You can also ask him if he like to help you take care of his younger simply like giving you his diaper, cream and any simple duties then praise for being such a good boy and being a good big brother

Read more