Helper always giving black face

I have a filipino helper who had been with us for a year. When we engaged her, she had 10 years of working experience in Singapore, mainly working for expats caring for their children (2years and above). She had never cared for infant. She is able to converse very well in english. During our interviews with her we already told her her main job scope is to help look after our newborn (was pregnant with 2nd child at that time). She said she is ok to try caring for infant though she had not done that before. Generally she is still ok in her work, though nt very detailed. She is ok with the children. But the problem I have with her is she gives us attitude very easily, and alot of times makes me feel that I have to see her face instead of her seeing mine. A little bit of correction in a kind way result in her giving black face. End up it is really difficult to correct her or tell her my preference without dealing with her black face for the whole day. Giving her adhoc task such as looking after my 2 children while I go out (so far I only only did it twice and I stop because I am really scared of her black face now) also result in black face. Her daily chores is just general household chores and taking care of my youngest, nw 8mths old, while we are at work during weekdays. Her work starts at 6.30am, end off between 7.30-8pm. She breaks between 9-10am, 12-3pm, 5-5.30pm, although sometimes this may be compromised if my baby do not want to sleep. We gave her a room of her own, she do not need to do night duty, gave her wifi, no phone curfew, no cctv, include her in our decision making as we want to respect her opinions, treat her like our own family members. She gets off day every Sunday, and she basically goes out from 7am-9pm and allowed her to do so. We try to treat her with as much welfare and respect as possible, but due to the frequent black face, I really feel she does not appreciate our kindness at all. This upsets me alot and do not think we deserve that every little black face. I get that it is very tiring to tc of baby, but we alrdy try to lesson or balance her workload as much as possible in my opinion. Also, after all these are also her duties, duties of most helpers with young families, and the very reason we engaged her. We also took over all child caring duties the moment we reach home at 7pm. She does not need to tc of my eldest (4yo) at all as well. We go out every sat afternoon without her (she herself does not want to follow us) from 3-8pm and she basically did nothing at home and when we are back, she just need to wash 2 milk bottles and she can go back to her room and call it a day. So in actual fact, she only work half from 6.30am-12pm on saturday (12-3pm is her lunch time break), even though her pay includes Saturday as her work day. I did not even say anything. By treating her as well as I could, I do not expect her to go the extra mile, but at least dont give me black face as and when she likes even when I talk to her nicely? I thought engaging a helper would allow me to relieve alot of chores and to have me time even at home, but she makes me feel like I am not allowed to do so. I really dont get if general household chores and taking care of baby, cooking dinner is really very heavy load? If you can elightened me, pls do.

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Am Robert Mitchell USA , How i purchased Willy Wonka Golden Ticket from Wal-Mart #2605 in Gallipolis and won $15,000, It still feels incredible that my life has changed and I thank Dr Prince  everyday for his help. It is the best feeling in the world knowing that I am financially secure.Dr.Prince has proved that all the comment that i have read about him are all true, I am saying this now because before i contacted Dr.Prince i was having doubts if all what i have read about Dr.Prince are true but after contacting him, i believed that Dr.Price  is truly powerful and his spell has the capability to Win all kinds of lottery All thanks Dr prince, his number +18144484537 This Man has been of immense blessing to me and my friends and i am putting his email here to help the world at large know about his abilities and power to solve various types of problems contact him today via website https://obinnaspelltemple.com/ [email protected]

Read more

Maybe she has RBF? Resting B*tch Face. Have you sat down and talked to her, talk like a friend? Open up to her and see if she opens up as well? After that you may want try looking after 2 kids and household chores for 12hrs for 5 days and see if you’ll give your husband black face for every little thing he ask or tell you. I know it’s part of a helper’s job scope but we are all humans and not all helpers will do everything willingly. Maybe she’s not used to your style? Maybe her previous employers gave her more free time and lesser work? Maybe she’s having personal problems, be careful of that. Even I will give black face to my husband when I’m not even doing household chores but looking after my 17 month old full time. It’s damn tiring, really. Just 1 kid alone is tiring. I would suggest you talk over coffee with her, like a friend. If all else fails, change helper. Or quit your job.

Read more
2y ago

yeah..after thinking through, perhaps she is someone who just cldnt really cope with child caring and general chores like others. so now im looking to see if i hv any other alternatives to relieve her from daytime child caring duties during weekdays.

I don’t have a helper. my husband and I did everything on our own, from confinement to taking care of our baby. It’s get very tiring on certain days tbh. Could it be that she gets to compare due to her past experiences and hence her current exhaustion gets magnified? It’s good to hear that you are trying to lighten her load which not many employers do because they feel that they are the paymaster so why should they help. Sometimes, handling kids emotions are mentally exhausting too and because it’s not her own child, she wouldn’t really be able to feel the joy that comes from taking care of the kid and hence it wouldn’t be able to offset the exhaustion too. The most important thing is she is treating your family, especially your child right. Kids are sensitive and they can remember. You wouldn’t want to put their lives at risk nor scar them for life.

Read more
2y ago

so far the kids still like her pretty well. n she pass off as someone whom i can trust my kids to. just that i really cannt take it when she almost always vent her wadever anger or tiredness on me by giving me black face. i try to be as welfare as i can but whenever im at the receiving end of her black face for nothing, i feel so wronged.

A lot of Singaporeans hire helpers to help alleviate their home situation which is understandable but honestly helpers are not certified to look after young children. They are mainly there to look after your home (housework, cooking etc) If something happens to the children etc, the helper get blamed when clearly helpers are not certified Nannies. But I appreciate that you try to treat her well and I do agree that if she does not change her black face attitude, try finding someone else or talking to her one last time as you will only be stressing yourself out in the long run.

Read more
2y ago

The reason why we chose to live close to parents is so that our parents can help. This was what I told him specifically when we bto. I asked him to choose whether he want to stay near his parents(east) or stay near my parents(west). He himself chose to stay near his parents. And now everytime I asked him to ask his parents for help he is always "dont trouble them" mode. He does not want to pay for help, also do not want to want to ask for "free" help, and here I am bearing the brunt of everything. Its really so frustrating. Sorry for my endless rant. But I really need to vent some of them out. Coz I am really very stress up and frustrated by all these things. Thank you for listening.

My helper and me are like sisters… but due to family conditions she has to go back to Myanmar soon and I’m quite affected with it… because I lost a friend and a sister….. she is more like a family then a helper…. At first when she comes she has this RBF syndrome. Is through after a period of encouragement of smiling and being friendly to her she starts to open up…. Many times is due to previous employers being too strict that they becomes cautious about everything around. It takes time but don’t worry

Read more

I realized this is something with experienced ‘old birds’. I’ve had alot of maids while growing up and the ones with attitude problems are usually those who worked in Singapore for long. If she’s doing taking care of your LOs well then I think just close one eye.. Its very hard to find a good helper now. Those with good attitudes are mostly new helpers, give them 2-3 years, the same thing will happen.

Read more
2y ago

yeah. no matter how angry I am I still have to smile at her while she can just throw her temper at me whenever she likes. all bcoz she is looking after my youngest while i am at work. and when her attitude affects me deeply, all i can do is vent it on my kids. i feel so guilty and helpless. i did sat down with her a few times to htht and all these times she just say we treat her very well and she has ntng to complain.

I’m actually pretty shocked at no cctv installed especially if she keeps giving attitude. I’ll be so worried for my children! 😮‍💨

2y ago

mayb bcoz im a first time employer and i really want to respect my helper. i understand working overseas is not easy and i want whomever my helper is to feel welcome and respected. by doing so, i also thought they would reciprocate. but now i just feel my kindness had been taken for granted