I have decided to get a divorce. (Don't ask me why) Can I know how to go about doing that? How much will it cost?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It depends on many factors. Irregardless of what the cause is, the question should be what is the relationship you have right now with your spouse? Is it hostile? Or amicable? Are both of you co-orperating with one another or are you guys at each other's throats all the time? The cost of a lawyer varies of course, depends on what you want out from the divorce. I've had a friend who paid only $1+ for lawyers because her ex gave her everything she wanted so it was easy. I've also had a friend who paid $5+k but got a difficult lawyer who was slow in responding to her. Personally, for myself, I am not engaging any lawyer and I believe my ex-spouse isn't either. Simply because I've done lots of homework about what happens to my kids, alimony and maintainence, what happens to the house and future visits to my son by him. And to do this yourself would mean you have to set up files of why and what ifs, and reasons that you deemed best fit. Otherwise, if you rather, you could engage a lawyer who would be best be able to represent you and explain you in your entitlements and fight for your rights. As mentioned, fees are about $1+k onwards depending on the length of your case and the quality of your lawyer. Bear in mind that the more expensive the lawyer is, that doesn't equate to his abilities.

Read more
VIP Member

I haven't gone through this but i have read a lot of articles and known of mums who have gone through this stage. please make sure you have the right emotional support that you need to keep yourself going. Be strong, and here is a list of great divorce lawyers that is a good reference on where to start: http://sg.theasianparent.com/top-10-divorce-lawyers-in-singapore-getting-the-legal-help-you-need/

Read more

Not in favor of divorces, but you know if it's best for your situation. You need to file a writ for divorce, statement of claim and Statement of particulars in the family justice courts. It costs generally around S$3-4k. But to inform you, if you've kids, this might be a bit more tedious, so just take safe steps.

Read more

Depending how amicable the divorce is. Mine was super amicable and it cost about 1.5k. Took about 3-4 months (but required separation of 3 years, which we had).

thanks