Mother’s Intuition is better than any feedback by others

I find this incident upsetting and I’m annoyed by this character. BIL is a doctor but not PD. Every meet up, he loves to examine my LO and comment on her growth. I get annoyed by his comments because an incident happened to my LO when she was only 2wks old during one evening. My LO happened to be crying nonstop, fussy and inconsolable, and as first time parents, we didn’t know what to do and he was there. He witnessed that and commented that my LO’s tummy was tender, looks bloated, need to burp LO. After two hours..my LO was still crying, his comment was continue to burp LO on the phone. Honestly, his observations on my LO made me very worried. I was extremely lost..and my hub and I rushed our LO to hospital for a check immediately that night. She cried the entire night. The nurses took my LO temp and detected low grade fever.. she cried for the past 2-3hrs (of course the body is warm), and said need to admit for observation to check. Looking back, I’m upset with myself for listening and believing in him so much, broke my heart to see my 2wks LO go through so much unnecessary pain (ie drew her blood, pasted urine bag around her genital area to collect her pee, but failed multiple times cus she pooped, lying down on a cold cot) at the hospital ward. Knowing that babies are naturally gassy, I could’ve been more patient, try to soothe my LO at home. Last evening, BIL brought up this incident again over dinner, and over exaggerated by saying that my LO couldn’t stop vomiting that night. I cannot. I stopped him by saying she was just inconsolable and we didn’t know what to do. Until he becomes a dad, he should just keep quiet. After that incident, I reminded myself to listen to my heart and speak up, especially for my LO. I’m glad my LO has been growing very well and I’m more confident in managing her now.

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply

Don’t take it so hard on yourself! But maybe your BIL is correct. At least you went to check the hospital and realized it wasn’t anything serious..

2y ago

Thanks for the reply and reminder that I shouldn’t be too hard on myself :) Yea, I kept reminding myself at least things turned out fine. I just can’t help but get irritated when BIL thinks he’s very smart and give comments, at times can even over exaggerate matter, just to draw attention. I just want a normal family gathering…not listen to so much of these comments and sometimes even get questioned, feels like we’re at the clinic.