Should I let my baby cry?

Hi parents, I’m a father of a 6 weeks old baby boy. I would like to find out if it is best practice to attend to my baby every time he cries? During the first month, my wife and mother in law were extremely attentive. For instance when my boy wets his diapers and starts crying, they would rush to change it and soothe the baby. On the other hand, I am more calm and would still do the necessary while allowing the baby to cry for a little bit (20-30 seconds more). Being a first time parent, I thought that it’s best that I’m careful with administering the need and am unfazed by the crying. Perhaps because of that my mother-in-law thought that I was inexperienced and hence tended to the baby herself most of the time, which upset me a little. But I acknowledged she had good intentions. After baby’s first month, mother-in-law moved out and went back to her place. It’s now my wife, baby and myself. And boy - I feel like a man and a daddy now! Though there is less help, more inconvenience and less sleep every night, I feel much happier. My boy is on his 6th week now and he still cries. The question I would like to ask is: should I still attend to my child every-time he cries? This is my current protocol: 1. Check if baby is hungry, meal time 2. Check if baby has soiled his diapers 3. Check if baby is feeling uncomfortable (warm, sleeping position) If any of the three is present, administer immediately calmly. If the none of the above is present, 1. Check if there is likelihood of stomach ache, colic If yes, administer some form of massage, carrying the baby around the house, skin to skin touch if no, allow the baby to cry (threshold 10 minutes), and afterwards soothe the baby. If crying still happens after soothing, repeat 10 minutes threshold of crying. I tried doing that over the past two nights and my observation is that my boy sometimes gradually stops crying and goes to sleep on the 8th minute. I noticed that there are two types of crying A) baby has an immediate need B) baby wants skin to skin time, to be comforted and to be carried around by wife and this sometimes prevents her from having proper rest and doing house chores When only situation B happens, that is when I will practise the 10 minutes threshold crying. My objective is to allow the baby to learn to self soothe as well as not to “spoilt” my baby by giving him what he wants immediately. Parents, kindly advise if my approach is appropriate and I would love to hear how I can do this better.

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Hello there, congratulations on being a new daddy! I'd say that there are a million ways to do parenting, but neither are right nor wrong. However, babies do not cry without reason, and at 6 weeks ... the world is still very scary to him. Just imagine being in a warm, dark and cozy place for 9 months - always being with your mum and hearing your dad, having all your needs attended to ... Then suddenly, he gets "thrown" into this world with bright lights, loud noises and a whole lot of space to move about. Most of the time, they just need a little more care and comfort - they don't cry for nothing but that's also the only way they can communicate with us, and it takes some time to understand your child :) Don't get frustrated when he cries, but I wouldn't recommend to leave him crying either - even if his needs already seem to be settled, sometimes all they want is just to be held. Of course, not all parents do it - but it largely depends on what kind of parenting you'd want to be following as time goes by, I practice attachment/peaceful parenting so I wouldn't let my son cry it out :) And yes, he's 26 months old and I still carry him whenever he cries - but that's just how we bond!

Read more
VIP Member

This is one question that gets all sorts of advice from different schools of thoughts. 😅I agree with Jena that a 6 week old kid doesn’t cry for no reason. I share my experience. I got overwhelmed with attending to my first born each time she cried and I ended up letting her cry until she got too tired if I knew that she had been fed and diapers changed. But that was such a torturous experience as that meant I had to harden my heart and not pick her up to comfort her. Eventually gave up after one day. For my second and third born, I would let them cry a little before picking them up to comfort them. I find they are more emotionally secure now that they are older. Plus, every child will grow up and not want to be carried some day. Isn’t this the best years to carry and cuddle with our little ones when they still need us to? 😊 It’s definitely very tiring to have to attend to the cries but years down the road, you’ll look back and smile that you did it. Enjoy your fatherhood!

Read more
VIP Member

Wow you sound like a really hands on and chill father! I think you're on the right track and I also agree with the others that babies are too young to spoil. And it's not my style to go running whenever a baby cries, whether or not that's the better or best approach, who knows? Most of the time in this parenting thing you'll just have to wing it, and what works for one child might not work for another. Also I've read that babies sometimes get bored (or over stimulated!) so you could add that to your list of things to check 😀 Just move him to a different location and see if he stops crying.

Read more

Wow, sounds like you've got all planned out. Bravo! If the child has just been fed and changed and tucked securely in his cot or bed, perhaps can do a quick peep to ensure nothing is hurting him or making him uncomfortable. If he has just been fed, he shouldn't be lying down too quickly too. If all checks are done to ensure he is safe, maybe you can talk to him while you go about doing your task or seat him in a position where he can see you without carrying him... that will make him feel more secure. Perhaps you can also play some soft music to calm him down. Happy parenting:)

Read more
VIP Member

I love your approach. It sounds well thought-out and you sound like a hands-on dad. I think your approach is logical and you can continue with it since it’s working for you and your family. Different parents have different parenting style. There is no best way or just ONE way of handling a baby’s cries. Articles online will tell you this way is good or that way is better etc...the best way is the one that works for the family honestly. Happy parenting!

Read more

Seems like u have done lotsa research and come up with such a plan. 👍🏻