I don't like it when my mil n sil share utensils with my 1 year old . They would often use the spoon or fork that they have used to eat their meal to feed my LO with a few spoonfuls of rice or meat. I find it so unhygienic! Even I don't use the spoon that I have used to feed my young child . I told my mil n sil once but I think my mil got offended n say ," why ? My saliva is poison is it ?" Faint !

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I am very straightforward de, my mil used to do it too. She wanted to feed my children some biscuits so I told her it is too big; she might want to half it first before giving to her. She bite it into half and give the other to my girl when she is coughing. I will tell her nicely but if she give me excuse like, "I am her Grandmother why cannot share or my saliva got poison is it?" I will stare at her and tell her out loud "Yes". I rather being the bad guy than putting my kids at risk. I found out being nice don't work well with some old people! I have tried talking nicely or jokingly, sharing news report, let PD/expert do talk but none work. Only Honesty will do the trick.

Read more

I think the news of granny cooling the food with mouth is a bit extreme. Pls bear in mind that your grand parents has more life experience than you. While I agree is a bit unhygienic, I don't think is worth to kick up a fuss about it. As they did it in good intentions. Maybe can just get another spoon for them to feed baby.. But then you might complain their food might have their saliva too.. Lol By the way, the sharing of food during communue dinner helps built a up immunity among family members. It has been a practice since ancient time, where family sit at a table and pass the food around to share.

Read more

I like this! I get a chance to buy special set of utensils with my daughter 's name engraved on them. It's hers, she is the owner. Another way is, show them news. There was a news of this granny who "cools" down baby's food in her mouth before feeding the baby. Ends up, the baby died of bacteria/ virus that was found in the nanny's mouth.

Read more
VIP Member

I told my inlaws straight. Kids have their own utensils. Don't make it a habit of sharing utensils. It's not about whose salvia being poisonous. But it's a habit to cultivate

I won't fuss about it. To me, not everything can be hygienic too. So I'll let it slide. that's just my two cents.

I won't fuss about it. To me, not everything can be hygienic too. So I'll let it slide. that's just my two cents.