I am direct latching a 2 mth old and exclusively pumping for my 15mth old. I have been getting recurring blocked ducts. Usually, i'd just put on hot compress and massage it under hot shower thereafter. But the block ducts have gotten stubborn lately as i have not been pumping as we were out and about for the past 1 week. I wouldnt want to try the cold cabbage cos afraid it will affect supply as many mummies mentioned. Will calling a massage lady help? Any other tips u mummies can share? Also, any possible reasons for recurring blocked ducts even when i have been latching on demand? TIA MUMMIES! ?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Possible reasons are skipped feedings, inadequate milk removal (maybe latch time is too quick), pressure on the breasts (like a bra that's too tight or you sleep on your tummy), and even stress or fatigue. Keep doing what you do: - frequent and longer latching to get more milk out; aim for every 2 hours and try to empty out affected breast - pump and express when you can't directly nurse; pump or hand express after feeding to further drain the milk - nurse while leaning over the baby so that gravity can push the milk down; massage the breast from plugged duct to nipple at the same time - hot compress or massage under hot shower before feeding; cold compress after to soothe inflammation - relax - drink plenty of fluids

Read more