Pacifier for NB

Hi, May I check when can we start pacifier for NB?

15 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I only gave my baby pacifier if all other methods won't work, but occasionally will give him before he sleeps sometimes cos I googled, they say pacifier can calm a baby down. Once he's soundly asleep, the pacifier drops, I gently put it aside without disturbing him and tadah! Can sleep liao. Hehe

VIP Member

Best to wait until at least a month old. If baby doesn't need or want it, don't even start it. Harder to wean the child off it afterwards. My #1 needed his paci until 2 years old, #2 never wanted it. Depends on the child's character.

Sucking on a pacifier at nap time and bedtime might reduce the risk of SIDS. If you're breast-feeding, wait to offer a pacifier until your baby is 3 to 4 weeks old and you've settled into an effective nursing routine.

VIP Member

Try not to give until they are older. They will relay very much on it and refuse milk. I don’t think is a good habit for such young age. You may want to consider after your ML.

If you're breast-feeding, wait to offer a pacifier until your baby is 3 to 4 weeks old and you've settled into an effective nursing routine.

I started it when my baby was 5 days old. Don’t see him reliant on it... in fact I think now he dislike pacifier and he’s 9 mths now

Super Mum

Best to start after a month if you are breastfeeding. Scared baby will have nipple confusion...

No specific age as such, when u feel safe start

VIP Member

I started when my child is 3 months old

Hi, I would suggest from 2-3 months