pacifier problem

My lo is 7 weeks old and we introduce pacifier for 2 days. It's been hell after we introduce pacifier. It was easy for her to sleep but once pacifier drop out she cries, which is every half an hour. And when she is on pacifier she can forget to feed. Now when we introduce feeds she refuses bottle and screams at the bottle. But when we slot in the pacifier she is ok. Also now when we try to soothe her to sleep, it takes 1-2 hour without pacifier. It's like she is addicted to pacifier. We tried taking out pacifier after she is sleepy but turns wide awake. Help!! How do we make her not reliant on pacifier so much?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I gave my boy the pacifier way earlier than you. Yes, agree on the part where he will wake up and cry pacifier drops out of his mouth. However, when i am the one who pulls it out when he sleeps, he doesnt feel it and continued sleeping as per normal. Now at 4 months going 5, he doesnt cry when his pacifier drops out of his mouth. In fact, i observed that he is the one who will spit it out in his sleep. Personally i do find the pacifier as a lifesaver in my case, cus my boy was really difficult to soothe and pacifier helped him to self-soothe and calm him down. To each her own. Anw, i know that babies naturally have the tendency to suck on things which calms them down. So i am okay with pacifiers and go with his flow for now.

Read more
VIP Member

Hi. Once you have introduced pacifier, it will stick with them up to 4 years old unless the baby lose interest in it. Since baby is still very young, the baby will solely depends on it for comfort. Unless you are ready to face her crying phase, you have to let the baby have it. You can try to wean it when the baby is older.

Read more