My NB is less than 2 weeks old currently on both breastfeeding and bottle feed. In the night she wakes up nearly every hour looking for my nipple jst for comfort. My confinement nanny says to use pacifier but somehow I don't feel too comfortable with starting a pacifier so young at her age. Does it matter how old a baby starts sucking on a pacifier?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Honestly I think it is ok to give pacifier. If a pacifier is able to soothe the baby, why not? A happy baby equals a happy mummy especially during the first few months of their life where they keep waking up to feed. Lack of sleep for a mummy also means a tired and stressful mummy and this will impact your milk supply too. If you look around, I think there are hundreds of babies that take the pacifier at a very young age, but how many do you see still sucking when they are older? As to weaning, I know some self wean off the pacifier, some mums just cut off the tip of the pacifier, some mums just tell their kid to say byebye to their pacifier. When the time comes, you just need to use the method that suits your child best. To me, weaning pacifier is probably like weaning a nightime milk bottle... eventually it will happen :)

Read more

I used to think it is not good to give my babe pacifier. Even when my mom and mil told me to give my baby I held back. In the end I still give her when she was about 3 months old. I do not think it is too young to give babies pacifier. Rather I think it will be more of a concern of when they stop. I also limit pacifier to sleep time only instead of giving everytime she cries. In this way she does not get addicted to pacifier too much. I will think if pacifier makes your baby sleep better and makes you sleep better go ahead and give now. A happy baby makes a happy mommy. But newborns always wake often . Since your confinement lady is around why don't you wait until after she leaves then you decide if you wanna give? Maybe by then your baby is sleeping longer hours? Your confinement lady seems to be taking the easy way out I feel ..

Read more
8y ago

Yea I kinda agree with u too. My 2yr old girl is still on pacifier but only bedtime n when she's in the car, n this leads to the next problem..... How do we get them to throw their pacifier away? Lol

No age is too young for pacifier. I gave it v early and babies are v smart if u are worried about nipple confusion. As a child myself in the long past, I ate the most pacifier and spoilt numerous according to my mother. But when the time come to wean off it - it will be able to. Better to give pacifier, u can rest, baby gets a soother that works - which is important tool to use when someone else (besides u n husband) is trying to look after baby. It's also easier to get them to quit pacifier than to quit their hand.

Read more