I do baby-led weaning with my 9 mo. frequently i find 1 or 2 pieces of food still in his mouth long after his eating session (e.g. at night when i brush his teeth). i usually do not take it out cos i know it will be gone. he doesn't spit it out also. my worry is that he will choke at night if he falls asleep with it still in the mouth. will this happen? shld i take it out by bedtime? any advice from babyled weaning experts?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

It's always good to see ur LO mouth after eating, my LO always open mouth and shout etc, hence can fee whether there is anything in his mouth or not. And they will tend to move their mouth when they have sth inside in their mouth so i will check his mouth, incase he pick up anything to put in his mouth like toys or watever he can find. They may not have food but other things in their mouth instead. So good to monitor their mouth behavior.

Read more

Neither am I an expert, but I know what you're going through as my child used to store food in his mouth too. After a while I got into a routine of checking his mouth after each meal. I also used to ask him to make open his mouth wide by saying 'aaaaaa' LOL He thought it was quite funny, but I got to see if there was any food remaining there. Mission accomplished!

Read more

I am not an expert but I will take it out. The reasons are Coz I m afraid of baby choking n food left for too long will turn acidic n corrode teeth. Hygiene n health purposes I will not let baby keep food for too long. I will consistently check if baby has finished the food even before brushing teeth time. Food keeping can cultivate habits.

Read more

I give led weaning as well. But i will always ensure there is nothing else in his mouth before i take him out from the high chair. We do not want to encourage him to keep food in his mouth. The food is meant to be eaten and swallowed, not to be kept in the mouth. Just my thoughts.

What I learnt from a course is the squeeze baby's cheeks when he/she is done with his/her meal!