May I ask if its safe to dye your hair when u are fully breastfeeding.

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Although no data is available on the effects of dying hair while pregnant or breastfeeding, it is natural to be worried. A lot of mommies choose to avoid such chemical hair treatments till after they are done breastfeeding. You can consider alternatives like having highlights put in your hair because the dye is only placed on strands of your hair and does not go too close to the scalp. This way, the skin does not absorb the chemicals into the bloodstream. Another alternative is pure vegetable dyes including henna.

Read more

Information about hair treatments while breastfeeding is limited. However, it's known that very little of the chemicals used in hair dye actually enter your bloodstream. This makes it very unlikely that a significant amount will be passed on through your breast milk. In the past, many women have used hair treatments while breastfeeding with no known negative results. However, if you are worried, den I suggest you don't do any treatment to your hair in order for you to feel at ease.

Read more

It shouldn't be a problem, make sure while you are getting your hair dyed, keep your child away. The strong pungent smell or accidentally if they touch your hair before you wash it can be avoided.

i did a research and it says that there is no evidence that the chemicals will be absorbed to the skin and reach BM.. the only concern will be the hair smell after :)

8y ago

i did dye my hair when lo was 4months, breastfeeding also

It's the odor of the hair dye that we must care about. If the odor is to harsh, the baby will inhale it and it's not good for his lungs.

It should be fine. You may also find this article useful: https://sg.theasianparent.com/can-a-breast-feeding-mom-dye-or-perm-their-hair

yup it's not a problem to dye your hair. at least i dye mine.

Feel free to dye your hair with an ease of mind. It's safe.

VIP Member

no problem! i dyed my hair while i was breastfeeding too!