I am a massive over supply mum and I hate it - I am constantly leaking and my breasts are always engorged. I feel my whole life is either devoted to DL baby or pumping milk. How do I handle this?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Here are some tips to help reduce supply of milk: Feed your baby with one breast during each feed; this will help to improve the balance between the foremilk and the hind milk and will gradually encourage the body to produce less milk. Try to change your position while you feed; try to lean back slightly and support the baby’s head so that it is elevated above the nipple. You can also try lying on your back or your side, as the reduced power of the downward force of gravity will help to slow down and control the flow of milk. Wait a while after your baby has finished nursing on one breast; if they still appear to be hungry and wanting more, offer the other breast. If they don’t seem to want more and are full, do not offer the other breast. Relax and stay calm during the letdown reflex, when the milk will come out quickly and erratically; you can absorb this milk in a towel and then latch your baby onto your breast after this initial ejection. Wind your baby more frequently if you feel that they may have swallowed a lot of air during the early stage of the feed if you notice them gulping, they will probably have taken in lots of air. Avoid expressing milk unless you absolutely have to; the body works on a supply and demand basis, so expressing will cause the boy to produce more milk. Try drinking sage tea during the evening; sage contains oestrogen, which will help to reduce the supply of milk.

Read more

To add on to what Jorelle suggested, you can also try nursing from the same breast for each feeding session and changing sides for the next feeding. Another method similar to this would be to nurse from the same side for two to three feedings in a row before switching to the other breast. If you experience any discomfort from the other breast, pump a small amount. Also, you can apply cold compression in between feeds to help reduce milk production (and also could help soothe any discomfort). While some may suggest using cabbage leaves and herbs to help reduce oversupply issue, I’ve heard that this may then lead to over reduction and causes issues of under supply. As for the leaking issue, you can try to apply pressure to the nipples by pressing your arms or heels of your hands tightly against your chest for a few minutes. Other suggestions that may help reduce leaking include splashing cold water on nipples or rubbing them gently with ice (every three to fours hours). [taken from: http://www.llli.org/faq/oversupply.html] Take care of yourself and drink more water to re-hydrate! Hope you can get more rest as well!

Read more
VIP Member

How old is your child? Our milk supply will usually stabilize once baby is around 6 months, that is when they are taking in solids and the milk demand gets lesser. Milk supply will generate when there is the demand(DL/ Pump) For now, avoid milk boosters or any food that may be a milk booster. After latching, do not pump out the excess milk, this pumping is sending signals to your body to produce more milk for the baby. thus you are getting engorge easily. If baby isnt with you all the time( Working mum) , scedule the pumping session at a 3-4hrly interval according to your baby's feeding scedule. This way, your body will be producing the sufficent amount of milk for your baby.

Read more
VIP Member

You are not alone. I am also an oversupply mum. Have you started cutting out your milk boosters? My milk boosters were milo, durian, evco and since staying away from it, my supply has dropped tremendously. Also don't drain your breasts out after every pump. Draining your breasts implies to your body that baby is demanding more and you need to produce more milk. Also this article might help you feel better - if nothing else it's assurance that you are not alone in this struggle. http://sg.theasianparent.com/oversupply-of-breastmilk/

Read more

Starting six months breastfeeding mommy facing this problem. For that you can do... . When you begin to feel the tingly sensation of milk letdown, apply firm pressure to your breasts by crossing your arms over your chest and hugging yourself. You can also use the base of the palm of your hands to press over the nipple. If you are in office or sitting at public areas that time cup your chin in your hands and press your forearms into your breasts. Really it will help.

Read more