I am afraid to handle infants. My friend has an adorable baby and I want to show affection but worried that I might hurt her. What are the absolute no-nos?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

These are a few pointers that I wish my relatives and friends practice while carrying my newborn. -Wash your hands (or use a hand sanitizer) before handling your baby. Newborns don't have a strong immune system yet, so they are susceptible to infection. Make sure that everyone who handles your baby has clean hands. -Be careful to support your baby's head and neck. Cradle the head when carrying your baby and support the head when carrying the baby upright or when you lay your baby down. -Carry the baby while sitting. Just in case accidents do happened and might drop the baby. -Refrain from kissing newborn, even though I know how irresistibly cute they are. Babies immune systems aren't fully developed they can experience complications of infections from exposure through saliva.

Read more

Make sure your hands are clean! But more importantly, make sure you support the baby's back and head. :)

Don't drop the baby