How to start introducing my 4m28d baby flash cards? Thinking to DIY. Glenn doman or Sichida? Any idea how to teach? Any tutorial? Any syllabus for different age? Thanks :)

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I am a big fan of Glen Doman - esp the Math curriculum. We are used to recitals of sequence of numbers (1, 2, 3…), then simple counting, then long and difficult process of weaning off counting fingers and teaching kids to do it in their minds. Glen Doman believes that there is no need for this long and difficult process. According to the research his team did, children are born with an ability to discern quantity of objects by sight. Glen Doman suggests using large flash cards with dots (hence – Dot Method), increasing the number of random dots on the cards gradually, getting children accustomed first to quantities, then to equations with those quantities, and finally even with algebraic sequences, sophisticated equations and even inequalities. Since children get used to doing equations with dots (quantities) instead of numbers (meaningless symbols!), they learn to UNDERSTAND problem solving in math, as opposed to memorizing the formulas to get to the correct answer of the problem. Once children go through this introductory concept of quantities, normal numbers are finally introduced and tiny children continue enjoying sophisticated equations in the more traditional for us way: 127+12-66*2=… Basic Rules of Teaching Begin as early as possible Be joyous at all times Respect your child Teach only when you and your child are happy. Stop before your child wants to stop. Show materials quickly. Introduce new materials often. Do your program consistently. Prepare your materials carefully and stay ahead. Remember the Fail-Safe- Law: If you aren’t having a wonderful time and your child isn’t having a wonderful time – stop. You are doing something wrong.

Read more

Here are a couple of links with great tutorials on making these for your babies. Some of my friends tried making the cards and also the picture detail checker board (last link). For the cards, the paper weight matter so getting thicker papers may be helpful. http://domanmom.com/2015/08/word-cards/ http://www.mummyshomeschool.com/shichida-flashcards-how-to-make/ grhomeschooling.blogspot.com/2011/07/tutorial-how-to-make-picture-detail.html

Read more