How much milk and how often does a 7 month old baby drink for mummies who express breast milk out for baby to drink? I am returning to work and previously direct latched baby because she doesnt like to drink from the bottle. She is still semi rejecting the bottle and worried that she is not taking enough.

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi, I think babies at this age latch on whenever they are hungry. But because your baby is 7 month old now, I think you should put him on solids so that even if she is not taking the milk form the bottle, she is atleast eating otherwise. I think you put her on solids now, like, mashed banana, potato, porridge, pulses that are easy to digest, soups, minced chicken, mashed vegetables, cottage cheese, etc. Make sure whatever you feed her is totally mashed so that it is easy for her to swallow. And in between whenever you get time, feed her your breastmilk, and otherwise keep working on the bottle feed. She is used to latching so she may take more time to adjust to the bottle. Also, as she grows her, you can also develop the habit of having her milk in the glass. All this, if she doesn't like to have the bottle feed. Drinking from glass is a habit that she develops, you will be a lucky one.

Read more
8y ago

Thanks for your reply! Yea have been trying to sneak in the breastmilk n bottle whenever even in e solids.. it is so worrisome because she has very bad constipation these 2 days because of inadequate fluids!

I can't really answer ur question because i am on fixed feed. By now your child should have started on solids and minimum should consume 500-600ml per day till about 1 yo- with solids gradually becoming th email sources of nutrients by 1yo. So i guess u can work on that as a minimum? Do note that the 500-600ml recommendation is most likely fm so its roughly there. But every child's neeeds is different and bm different composition so i think better to have slightly more than the minimum - just in case? Have more better than less

Read more

My 7 month old is taking 4 bottles of EBM a day - 240ml, 150 ml x 3. Just note she sleeps through the night hence she gets a bigger bottle in he morning. On top of that, she takes 2 solid meals a day (small portion) and approx 50ml of water if you're worried about her milk intake, you can always add some EBM to her "drier" food eg sweet potato, avocado, potato.

Read more